The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
12 members (HandyAndy, 3B, Oswald, Gdads51, 1955 1 Series, Jon G, Southerntruck, Otto Skorzeny, Gray_Ghost, Peggy M, 2 invisible), 155 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,103
Posts1,056,183
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86025 04/30/2004 11:17 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 31
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 31
Hello all, I have a 1964 Carryall with a 283/auto... and I can't get to properly charge... I've installed a new battery, 63 amp. alt., and a new regulator... One mistake I think I made was to mount the regulator directly to the radiator support.. I've recently been made aware of the need for the isolator mounts... I've since added these, but to no avail. Did I blow the regulator and/or the alt.? I'm getting 11.8 volts average at post of the alt., and 11.6 at the battery... The voltage increases to approx. 12.2 with fast idle, but the battery still slowly dies... All the chargiing wiring has been replaced with new. What did I miss or screw up?
Many thanks, Pete in NE PA


Pete in NE PA
1964 Cheverolet Carryall
1965 GMC 1/2 ton
#86026 05/01/2004 7:44 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
Here's a quick test- - - -
Run a straight 12 volt wire from the battery positive terminal to the "F" terminal on the alternator with the engine running. (Disconnect the 2-wire plug first) If the alternator is OK, it will go into full output. There is an aftermarket electronic regulator assembly that plugs into the back of the alternator and eliminates the regulator. I used to use that one when converting farm tractors to alternator charging from DC generators. Another alternative is to install a later-model internally-regulated alternator. Most of them can be used by simply installing a jumper from the battery terminal to one of the regulator terminals. The other terminal can be used for a "no charge" light if desired, but it's not really necessary.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0