The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 137 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,184
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Y
New Guy
New Guy
Y Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
I have my original column,which was adapted to P/S. It has a new steering column shaft. Also new upper column bearing. I tried bearings from two different vendors, and with each bearing, there is a considerable amount of up/down play in the steering wheel. Is this normal, or am I missing something? Is there supposed to be a spring and spring cup installed on the shaft which sits on top of the bearing, like on 55-57 chevys?(cars) I feel there shouldn't be hardly any play in the upper column bearing.

Last edited by yousa; 06/18/2012 1:25 AM.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I think there is a spring. I looked it up on the web once myself. Maintenance manual will show. Only slight end play should be evident.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
It does use a spring exactly like the car. Also used on many late vehicles. I have not seen them in any aftermarket publications but should be an easy pick your part find.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Y
New Guy
New Guy
Y Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Thanks for the info. Hopefully the spring and spring cup will be the magic bullet.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0