The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,541
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 78
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 78
Was curious to see if anyone had ran into this problem. I'm restoring a 53 chevy 3100 and I bought a 12 volt gas gauge to replace the 6 volt in my dash. I bought the gauge from classic truck parts. When I tried to install it in the gauge cluster the replacement sets up higher than the original so it hits the glass bezel. The needle can't move freely because of this. Is there a fix for this or do I need to try buying from a different manufacturer? Thanks for your help.


1953 3100 Chevy 5 window
1971 Chevelle SS
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...;Main=93671&Number=650039#Post650039

Read this members blog

...click...

He ground on the bezel so the needle would clear

Good luck

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
If you're adventuresome you might try connecting your 6v gauge as you normally would with a 6v system. I converted my 55.1 panel to 12v years ago and did nothing with the gauges other than change bulbs. It didn't occur to me that I might have an issue. As they say ignorance is bliss. I put over 100K on the truck after the conversion and never had a problem with 6v gauges running on 12v.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
The 12v gas gauge for my '54 sits higher than the original 6v gauge, too. Mine came from the Truck Shop and is their CounterParts brand.

I tried to bend the face of the gauge back a little. Don't know if I succeeded very much - I was afraid that I would pop the rivits holding it or that I would damage the gauge mechanism. Luckily, the needle did not touch the glass or bezil.

I lightly sanded the face of my new gauge, painted it flat black, and attached new decals to all of my gauges so that they would match. I painted the needles after attaching the decals. The gauge faces on your '53 may require a different base paint than my flat black.

Here is a link to my PhotoBucket album of my gauges. Shows the original color and pattern inside the speedo and gauge housings. Also shows the original color and pattern of the back of the gauge bezils.

By the way -- The needle on my 12v gauge does not return to "E" when the ign is turned off. Gravity pulls it past "F" when the ign is off. My gas gauge also responds slowly. Don't know if it is the new Truck Shop float or the gauge. It takes a couple of minutes of driving for the needle to register Full after filling up the tank. Even so, it's still better than having to carry a 2-gal gas can in the bed when my old gauge didn't work.


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0