| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
128
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,680 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 3 | Hi! I am new to Stovebolt so will take some time getting used to navigating. There are some bolts that mount my running boards where the bolt heads are hidden. They appear to be carriage bolts and upon turning the nuts the bolts just eventually rotate. I assume the holes for the square part of the head are stripped round. Any suggestions on how to get these out? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 166 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 166 | Hi Rick, welcome. On my 37, I had the same issue where the square hole was rounded out & the carriage bolts just spun. If I remember correctly, (I did this about 10 years ago) I used a sawzall to cut the bolt between the running board & the brackets. They were just loose enough that a could get the blade between there & have at it. | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | I used a dremel tool with a cutoff blade to take the nuts off. Don't forget the bolts into the front & rear fenders as well. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | Welcome Rick. Rounding off square bolts is part of the process that you have to get used to, at least I did. I took the grinder to my bolts, then drilled out what was left.
Leo | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 3 | How did you get the new bolts back in? In one case the bolts were placed in the holes and then the metal folded over the heads. In another the bolts are in a channel and there is no clearance to get any new bolts in. Rick | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 | There should be a round hole at the end of each track to install new ones. Just push it up and tap it where you need it. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2012 Posts: 3 | Thanks to all. I will try a few of the methods discussed above and see which works best. I like the saws all idea but my running boards are pretty tight to the bracket. I will let you all know how I make out. This will take a few days and I have 12 acres to take care of as well so bear with me and many thanks, Rick | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | If you pull the running boards off, you can repair the slots the carriage bolts slide into so they catch the square sides properly. Slide the new bolts in and set the boards back down on the support brackets. | | |
| |
| |