The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jay R, Ridgeback, Phak1, Ponchogl), 76 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,683
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Hi! I am new to Stovebolt so will take some time getting used to navigating. There are some bolts that mount my running boards where the bolt heads are hidden. They appear to be carriage bolts and upon turning the nuts the bolts just eventually rotate. I assume the holes for the square part of the head are stripped round. Any suggestions on how to get these out?

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 166
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 166
Hi Rick, welcome. On my 37, I had the same issue where the square hole was rounded out & the carriage bolts just spun. If I remember correctly, (I did this about 10 years ago) I used a sawzall to cut the bolt between the running board & the brackets. They were just loose enough that a could get the blade between there & have at it.


1937 Chevy pickup
In the Gallery
1952 MGTD
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
I used a dremel tool with a cutoff blade to take the nuts off.
Don't forget the bolts into the front & rear fenders as well.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Welcome Rick. Rounding off square bolts is part of the process that you have to get used to, at least I did. I took the grinder to my bolts, then drilled out what was left.

Leo

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
How did you get the new bolts back in? In one case the bolts were placed in the holes and then the metal folded over the heads. In another the bolts are in a channel and there is no clearance to get any new bolts in. Rick

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 252
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 252
There should be a round hole at the end of each track to install new ones. Just push it up and tap it where you need it.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
Thanks to all. I will try a few of the methods discussed above and see which works best. I like the saws all idea but my running boards are pretty tight to the bracket. I will let you all know how I make out. This will take a few days and I have 12 acres to take care of as well so bear with me and many thanks, Rick

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
If you pull the running boards off, you can repair the slots the carriage bolts slide into so they catch the square sides properly. Slide the new bolts in and set the boards back down on the support brackets.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0