The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hanks custodian, GDW, Peggy M, Rusty Heaps, Shaffer's1950, MNSmith), 101 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 237
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 237
I have completed my 1941 1 Ton Long Bed Pickup and I have had several of this vintage but was never really able to get the windshields to seal completely on a rainy day.

I have a new gasket installed that was trimmed to fit completely inside the outer windshield frame on the cab. I have tried to pull the frame tighter to the opening using tie wraps to give it more tension against the frame to seal it with some success but it is not water tight yet.

Has anybody had any success using any additional seals to get the windshield water tight and yet still be able to open it on most days?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Dave Murray
[email protected]

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Only thing I have seen to get it really tight, is to install " cam -type " locks ( similat to levers on casement windows in a house ) on the inside window pillars to pull the frame in tight. Saw a '46 with stainless levers - looked pretty good and Owner said it worked wonders.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 127
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 127
I had the same problem with my 41, I changed the seal and it was better, but still leaked. Unfortunately its parked outside and this year its parked in the sun. I'd noticed on the last few drives it seems like the windshield closes a little tighter, and the last real storm we had the floor was totally dry! I think that with the heat it softened the rubber some and really got seated well. so all I can suggest is park it in the hottest sunniest spot you have for a few days and see. Maybe its just me and maybe it wasnt seated all the way before, but a dry floor is nice. And lets see some pics of this truck already!!!

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by britcon
Only thing I have seen to get it really tight, is to install " cam -type " locks ( similat to levers on casement windows in a house ) on the inside window pillars to pull the frame in tight. Saw a '46 with stainless levers - looked pretty good and Owner said it worked wonders.

Actually, I believe the cam-type locks on the 46 trucks were factory. My '46 GMC has them. As mine is being rodded and I don't currently have a windshield frame, I'm V-butting the windshield to avoid this issue.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 237
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 237
Thanks gentlemen! I am going to make the tiewraps tighter, use some solar heat for a while. If that does not work some softer rubber sub gasket under to fairly stiff but new gasket.

If that does not work then I will go to the cam style latches.

Any additional suggestions will be appreciated and responded to.
Dave Murray


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0