| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,119 Posts1,056,648 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 24 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 24 | Hi Guys, Before Installing a 3 speed with the BW overdrive I have some questions in relation to a 1950 3/4 Ton. As of now I have the 4 speed with enclosed torque tube front, carrier bearing,and open driveshaft to rear. which I will remove and plan to have a new driveshaft made. Should I go with a 1 piece driveshaft? I am also going with a smaller 10" clutch disc and pp from stock 11". Any suggestions/tech please! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 | I'm planning to do the same thing in my 49 3/4 ton. I've already got a one piece drive shaft as it was converted to a later Saginaw and a 250. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 24 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 24 | Cool Mapleleaf, Let me know how it turns out. I've done some research about 2 Piece driveshaft to one, I think Ill stick with modifying a 2 piece to work. Any input is always welcome! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | I just put a T5 in a 54 3/4 ton and used a one piece.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | If you use a 1 piece drive shaft, you will be just about at the limit for for a 1 piece shaft. You have to be very careful that the shop that builds it gets it true and balanced. 2 short shafts are much stronger than a single shaft. I am going to put a Saginaw/BW in a 50 model GMC. It will have a 302 engine and I am leaning toward 2 shafts because with the 4.57 rears and .70 OD, the shaft is really going to be spinning. | | |
| |
| |