The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (WICruiser, 2 invisible), 142 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,269
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#855221 05/30/2012 2:19 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
I want to upgrade my '61' suburban rear wheels from 6 to 5 lugs. Are there any direct replacement axles from a donor to do this with?

bracco #855567 05/31/2012 10:38 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
This had been discussed before, but I believe the easy answer is no. The newer axles will fit, but are roughly 3/4" to long. You have to have the end that goes into the center section shortened, and the "C" clip groove recut in. If this is incorrect, someone will jump in. That 3/4 dimension is just off the top of my head, but it's in the ball park.

SD66Burb #855598 06/01/2012 12:22 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 220
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 220
You may want to look at this article.
http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=189&SID=60
Seems that they now want you to purchase the whole article, but there might be enough to determine if you want to purchase.
Not sure but I would think that it would work on a 61 as well.

SD66Burb #855636 06/01/2012 2:28 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Originally Posted by SD66Burb
This had been discussed before, but I believe the easy answer is no. The newer axles will fit, but are roughly 3/4" to long. You have to have the end that goes into the center section shortened, and the "C" clip groove recut in. If this is incorrect, someone will jump in. That 3/4 dimension is just off the top of my head, but it's in the ball park.
That would be more or less correct for a '63-'70, which uses the later 12 bolt rearend. The '60-'62 uses the HO33, same as the '55-'59.


Bill Burmeister
LONGBOX55 #855913 06/02/2012 10:59 AM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Thanks all for the response, I still don't know exactly what I'm going to do. This truck has been my dads truck since "62". it was parked for 25 plus years and then vandalized about 10 years ago. I was able to get the windshield and doors replaced then, but it has been sitting since. About a year ago I got it running again and have rebuilt two of the sliding windows. I intend to change out the front cross member to upgrade to disc brakes and needed to know where to go with the rear. It's nice to have it move again but I need brakes to stop and do not want to rebuild what I intend to get rid of. It may just be me but I would like to keep the front and rear the same year if possible.

bracco #857323 06/07/2012 7:30 PM
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 27
You can also go to a rear end shop and have them re-drill the axles and drums for the 5 bolt pattern you want. It's fairly cheap and easy to do.


'62 Chevy C10 Short Bed Step Side, 235 Six with Offy intake, 2 carter/weber 2bbls and Fenton headers. B-W T5 5 speed trans, with stock rear end.

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0