The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (3800GUY, 66flea, 1 invisible), 59 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,572
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#856298 06/03/2012 10:02 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 52
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 52
After being laid up for half of last year due to a severe leg injury, I finally made it out to fire up the truck for the first time. The battery was dead so I charged it up overnight and tried again the next morning. When I turned the key...nothing. Strange thing was my fuel gauge pegged on full and has stayed there since. I had the battery checked and it tested bad so I replaced it. I have been driving the truck but it would be nice to know how much fuel I have. Has anyone ever encountered this? I have tried the various tests with jumper wires etc. but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 20
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 20
You got to much power to the fuel gauge and it blew. Now it is stuck

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 52
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 52
Interesting theory. How could that happen? I removed the battery to charge it.

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 156
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 156
Miner54,

My gauge was doing the same thing on re-assembly- found out I have a bad chunk of wire from the sending unit to the panel- it was grounding out to the body and causing the tank to peg out full- try tracing your wire from the sending unit to the panel and see if it is frayed-(or was chewed into by a mouse) also would need to check and see that the ground wire from sending unit is grounded (mine grounds to the interior)
a mouse munching on your wires can also be one causee of a no-go at start up- worth poking around at your wiring....


1954 Chevy 3/4-Ton Chevy
"Mo"
1948-53-54 "Mixed Bag" Chevy Stakebed
"Basket Case"
1952 Chevy 3/4-Ton
"as yet un-named"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots of pictures
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 52
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 52
I will double check the circuit. It's strange because it was working fine until I dropped the battery in after charging it and tried to start it. Before I turned the key, I switched on the dome light just to see if I had power. The light came on. After I turned the key to start it it just clicked. Tried the dome light again and nothing. That's when I noticed the gauge was pegged on full. As I mentioned the battery tested bad and has been replaced. Everything is good now except the gauge which baffles me. I'm thinking the problem is somehow related to the battery incident so I guess I need to look beyond that. I appreciate the replies.

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 156
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 156
Any Luck Miner54?


1954 Chevy 3/4-Ton Chevy
"Mo"
1948-53-54 "Mixed Bag" Chevy Stakebed
"Basket Case"
1952 Chevy 3/4-Ton
"as yet un-named"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots of pictures

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0