The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,619
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
Gimme a break - it's my first engine build!

<…VIDEO…>

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Mark,
Your engine looks good & I enjoyed your Blog.
One question. What color & brand of paint did you use on the engine?
Thanks,
Harold


Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
Hey, I'm as stoked as your are. I should be running my pump tomorrow, here's hoping it goes as well as yours did... smile

Vince

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
Originally Posted by Harold46
Mark,
Your engine looks good & I enjoyed your Blog.
One question. What color & brand of paint did you use on the engine?
Thanks,
Harold


Thanks Harold - it's the Dark Grey that the Filling Station sells. Ultimately its a PPG Acrylic Enamel.

Originally Posted by Coachie
Hey, I'm as stoked as your are. I should be running my pump tomorrow, here's hoping it goes as well as yours did...

I was a bit nervous at first - I didn't get pressure for about 30 seconds of running the drill at a low speed, so I cranked it up a little and I felt the load on the drill almost instantly as Truckernix had described to me.

Even better, this morning I ran out to check of the sitting oil had leaked from the timing cover and it hadn't. Fewf!

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
Great job on your engine, and the dump bed on the truck is to cool. I could use a dump ned on my truck to help unload round bales

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
Hey Mark,

Are you going to leave the oil in the motor when you lift to install? Also, what did you use to prime the pump?

Thanks!

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Good! and looks good.


Drew
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
Originally Posted by Coachie
Hey Mark,

Are you going to leave the oil in the motor when you lift to install? Also, what did you use to prime the pump?

Thanks!

When I rebuilt my distributor I choose the best parts out of 3 dizzy's I had acquired. So as it had been suggested by others, I took one of the spare shafts and used it. (with the gear removed!)

<Dizzy Parts>

Failing this, I would of used a big flat head screwdriver with its handle cut off. The advantage of the dizzy shaft is that it fits perfectly.

Yes I plan to leave the oil in - I don't see a reason to drain it - the engine will stay pretty much level as I reinstall it as will be installed onto the naked frame, no cab.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
Originally Posted by tracern1
Great job on your engine, and the dump bed on the truck is to cool. I could use a dump ned on my truck to help unload round bales


Thanks! That acrylic enamel paint goes on very nicely - Although I did sand parts of my valve cover back down to bare metal and repaint. I wasn't happy with some of the ridges I could see from the old paint not being feathered away enough.

The dump bed is what sold me on this truck when I first found it! Not that I ever plan on using it!

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 89
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 89
I'm jealous! That's amazing, I'm glad you didn't run into the timing cover leak that I did when I primed it. Looks flawless, bet you can't wait to get er' fired up and purring!


1957' Chevy Pickup
My welcome thread: Introduction and Story
My Album: 57' Chevy 3100 W/235
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
Thanks! I'm working hard to make that happen this weekend.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
That is an excellent video demonstrating how that process should be done. Great work!


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0