The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (49nut, Otto Skorzeny), 84 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,337
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#853416 05/23/2012 3:10 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
Rebuilding a '55 235 out of a car. It came with the pump where the pickup pivots.

Also have a pump from a parts engine with the solid pickup.

…Pic…


Is there an advantage to one over the other?

Anything I need to know about installing after a rebuild? Assembly lube needed in the pump shaft?


Mark

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
The important issue is the depth of the pick up screen in the pan. Use the one that properly fits your pan. No additional lube is needed. It will lube when primed.


Drew
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
Good advice... these are the pans from each respective engine - the pivoting one on the left. I don't see much of a difference in clearance however.


Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
Searched your web blog, but didn't see the pans. Very nice blog though.


Drew
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
Whoops!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/113636046886857960240/New235#5727742207514998658

https://picasaweb.google.com/113636046886857960240/New235#5727742225150310690

https://picasaweb.google.com/113636046886857960240/New235#5727742244463101986

Thanks for the compliment - There's a lot of material not on the site yet - I find I do the work, take lots of pics, and wait for some down time to update the site. With 4 girls time isn't plentiful.

I think I'm going to go with the pivoting pump, original to this block and pan.

I wish there was a way to test it before running the engine - when I attach the drill to prime the oil system, will the oil gauge show pressure building?


Mark

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you have the oil gauge hooked up it will show you the pressure. You will be able to feel the drill load up too.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
Thanks Fred,

Got the bottom end completed last night. I've never read so many views and gaskets and sealants, and hopefully won't have to think about it for a while!

Really hoping to get paint on it this weekend, and then start it soon after!

Mark

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
You probably already know this, but make sure you see oil reaching the valve train too. You don't want to find a plugged line later. And from personal experience; if a seal or plug isn't secure, your pants will get sprayed with oil. :mad: grin


Drew
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 575
Good advice Drew,

I had planned on priming the system with the valve cover off for that exact reason.

I plan on starting it on an engine dolly (that I have yet to make using the guide on this site). That way (heaven forbid) that something leaks I'll be able to address it.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Princess Auto has an engine dolly on sale right now. It looks perfectly siuted to a V8!


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0