The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, fonz8261, Hugh63c10, kbenz), 167 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,660
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
So I got the 261 running on the bench! dance
I took the 216 out but I had to separate it from the transmission to do so. I can't see how you can pull the engine and transmission together. I had all sorts of clearance issues even after pulling the top of the transmission off.
Anyway... It's out.
Now I was going to put the new engine in, but I have a question I need answered.
I bored the new bell housing and turned the bearing retainer down to size for an SM465 transmission install. My concern is I won't have enough room for the driveshaft. And I'll have to have the driveshaft shortened..... If that's the case I'll probably just run the original sm420 gearbox instead.
How vital is it that the hole in the bell housing be the same size as the bearing retainer on the transmission? Can I use the bored out bell housing with the sm420? Or do I have to put the old bell housing back on? Can ou swap bell housings with the engine in the truck? It looks like it would be a real pain in the but. ohwell

Help!

Thanks, Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 187
Obviously you wanted to install the 465 or you wouldn't have modified the bell housing and retainer. Why not just have the driveshaft shortened? Shortening and balancing a driveshaft shouldn't cost that much. Regarding your removal and clearance issues; you should buy one of these: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...Upsells-_-Top%20Sellers-_-Product%20Page Changing the removal angle can make a huge difference.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 235
Yes I had intended to put the 465 in but lets just say money has become an issue and unlike most of the folks here my truck is my only vehicle. I'd planned this swap to be as quick and painless as possible but I'm afraid a driveline shortening will be extremely costly..

I have an engine leveler.
I suspect the problem is that the cab is twisted. There's pretty serious impact damage to the drivers side. The repairs den were the usuall for a lumber truck..pull this.. Hammer that... Tighten this.... It's no show truck but it does it's job very well.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

Jeremy


1950 Chevy 3800 1-Ton Long Bed
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr

Sold all the bikes, leaving California behind.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0