The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#85157 06/12/2002 12:06 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 7
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 7
I've never done this before, really........(have you ever heard that before???) but anyway,
My 53 needs rewiring, because there are so many wires hanging from everywhere! Is there a book, or article with steps to master this task? Or where is a good place to get a loom?
Thanks

#85158 06/12/2002 12:20 AM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
If it were me I would buy a new wiring harness. They are available at Chevy Duty www.chevyduty.com and other places for around $ 100..

Harnesses include every wire in the truck, dash light sockets, new wires to the head and tail lights, starter circuit, etc.. A harness has all the wires bundled and wrapped for a nice neat job..


Bill M
53 GMC Hydra-Matic

Home Page
http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html

When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,179
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,179
I agree with 53 4 me, but one word of caution. I just rewired my truck using the Chevy Duty wiring harness. The directions are cryptic, to say the least, and you really have to pay attention to what you're doing. Furthermore, the harness is for the stock setup, so if changes have been made, those changes may throw you off.

For example, my truck has two horns mounted on the right side of the firewall, fed by a relay. The original horn was mounted in front of the radiator, without a relay. It took me a little time to figure out how to get the horns working again.

The original truck didn't have turn signals. If those have been added, you'll have to figure out how to adapt the wiring to fit your setup. I'm not saying it's impossible, just warning you that it ain't a 2 hour job. It'll take some time to get it right.

I was also changing my gauges, so that added an extra kink that I had to figure out. It's all done now (except the headlights because I'm cleaning the "buckets" up and painting them before I put them back together) and a couple of odds and ends.

BTW, the Chevy Duty harness worked out really well. It even has some extra wires you can use if you have (or want) turn signals.


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 7
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 7
Thanks for the info about rewiring.
I'm told that I can use the original 6 volt wires, even tho I have a 12 volt setup. Where do I need to place the resistors, and what size will I need??
Thanx again..........

53 chev dlx cab


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0