| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,120 Posts1,056,325 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 106 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 106 | I want to get a new polished stainless bolt kit for my '40 now that I'm ready to put the bed back together. I checked out MAR-K, but they smoke crack apparently. They want $12.00 for shipping, $10.00 for handling (for a guy to put them in a box?) and an extra $6.45 for tax! I've ordered a million things online, and have never had to pay tax! So this bolt kit would cost me almost $30 in shipping in fees. What a ripoff, I hate when people try to make extra bucks by inflating their shipping charges.
There's got to be someone honest out there selling these parts who isn't out to rip people off. Any suggetions?
Last edited by stevebolt; 05/13/2012 2:58 PM.
1940 Chevy 1/2 ton, 12 volt, 350/350th
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | shop around and compare prices, there's a whole list of parts suppliers on the links page, maybe you'll find one you like better
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 1,901 | You might try some farm and tractor supplies. Some even sell their nuts and bolts by the pound instead of by the piece...
Give me ambiguity or give me something else
| | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | I purchased " kit " from Jim Carter's. You could also try a Marine Supply store - they carry a lot of stainless stuff. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 106 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2011 Posts: 106 | Well, I ended up putting together a kit by getting everything at my local mom and pop hardware store. Got all stainless bolts, nuts and washers for right around $50 + $0 shipping. They had everything except the long bolts to mount the bed to the frame, so they ordered them for me and they'll be here on Tuesday. They're not polished stainless, but I found a link that shows you how to polish stainless bolts.
1940 Chevy 1/2 ton, 12 volt, 350/350th
| | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | There are ( 6 ) wierd washers for the bed / frame bolts. The holes are drilled off-center - I guess to keep the bolts from spinning in the hole when you are assembling them. They will be hard to come by unless you go to a specialty supplier like Jim Carters or ???. I am sure you can get by with standard washers. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | offset bed mounting washers, various finishes ... other suppliers likely have them as well Bill | | |
| |
| |