The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Opelika Tom), 115 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
I had a little extra time this weekend so I figured I'd get the rods ready to send in for conversion to insert bearings. I didn't have my manual with me (I'm working in my Dad's shop)so I figured I can't mess too much up by just taking the pistons off of the rods. So, I clamped the rod in the vise the long way so I could grip it as close to where the clamp bolt is as possible and proceded to remove the bolts, wrist pins, etc.

When I got home, I noticed in my manual the fancy holding device for holding the piston/rod assembly when tightening the clamp bolt and the warning to the effect of "Do not clamp the rod in a bench vise or you run the risk of twisting the rod." They also show a fancy device for checking if a rod's bent or twisted.

I highly doubt any of this equipment is still around so what's a hobbyist supposed to do when loosening/tightening the clamp bolts on the rods? Is it likely I tweaked my rods in the process and I shouldn't use them or do they check and correct any possible twists when they machine them for the inserts? If the shop makes sure they're true, then how do you hold them when you tighten the clamp bolt when attaching the pistons and pins? I also didn't see a torque spec for the clamp bolt in my manual. Does anyone know what that should be? Thanks, Shawn


Shawn

1950 3600 Pickup, 1958 Plymouth Belvedere
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
They should check them when converting them, if not have it done.
I clamp a large punch, that fits the ID of the wrist pin, in my vice while doing this job and slide the assembly over the punch while tightening or loosening.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
Thanks for the tip Dave. Does anyone know the torque spec for the clamp bolt on the rod? Unless I missed it, the only spec I saw in the manual was for the rod caps.


Shawn

1950 3600 Pickup, 1958 Plymouth Belvedere
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I have never seen it in any manual but I torque them to 30 Ft Lbs


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
Thanks again Dave. I appreciate it. Shawn


Shawn

1950 3600 Pickup, 1958 Plymouth Belvedere
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
Clamping a rod lengthwise will keep it from twisting, as long as the vise jaws don't put nicks in the beam section. I use soft copper jaws on anything that might be damaged by the serrations on the hard steel jaws. The precaution is about clamping a rod near the big end, and putting a lot of torque on the bolt at the top. That puts a twist into the beam because stoveblot rods are pretty flimsy where a twist is concerned. Twisted rods create an oddball angular wear pattern on the piston skirt, and a really strange-sounding knock!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 57
Yes, I forgot to mention I was using brass inserts on the vise when I clamped the rods in there. I was able to grip the entire length of the beam so that makes me feel better. Thanks Jerry. Shawn


Shawn

1950 3600 Pickup, 1958 Plymouth Belvedere

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0