The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Pre '68 Dave, BCBill), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,178
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
At the bottom of the front leaf springs on my 53 half ton was a small wedge shaped piece that I believe is part of the caster adjustment. I changed to a mono leaf spring so do I still need the small wedges to get the correct caster?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
You need to take the truck to a good alignment shop and get it checked out. Without a reference on what the caster angle is now, there's no way to tell whether it needs more or less caster. If there has been a radical change in ride height, which is the reason most people install non-stock springs, the alignment could be off in a big way. If the steering does not try to return to center after a turn, you probably need more positive caster angle, but that's not a substitute for proper wheel alignment.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 88
OK...much appreciated. I asked as I only have one of the caster wedges and am trying to decide if I need to go salvaging for another one. I'll check out the alignment first.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0