Here is a door installation fixture that may come in handy, especially for those working in their shop alone. During the "restoration" of a '65 Fairlane, the need for a door installation fixture presented itself during reassembly. The doors were quite heavy and we didn't need any paint chips.I had seen some of the cradle style door lifts that you can add to your floor jack, but I had a problem with how the cradle supports the complete weight of the door across the lower edge of a door skin. There is too much risk of paint damage, in my view. So I came up with another version that would support the weight across a wider area of the inner door, reducing the risk of damage to any visible areas.
Edit May 2024. This tip that Ned and Robert put together did become a bona fide TT in the Legacy TT Page on May 1, 2012. HERE IT IS -- where you can see it all. In that TT, the "more discussion" leads back to this thread. So, it's still alive.
Great job everyone, special thanks to Robert for getting all this together. ~ Peggy M
Ned, I think if we add this picture (attached) at the end, it will add to the other to show nothing is touching the door skin, for less chance of damage. Also, the biggest share of the floor jacks similar to the one shown will have a 1.90 diameter for the "pin", which was the 1-1/2" NPT pipe size. I think it would help out with finding materials to add that part's size. Most of the other items are flexible that someone could use alternate sizes based on what's in the scrap pile.
I'll show this item at the demo this weekend for anyone interested.
I needed something like this not too long ago. Balancing a 49 chevy truck door by yourself on a jack is kinda tough. I think this is a real winner. Congrads' to the person who come up with this. I will make one for my next project. Thanks, Red 49 Truck. Steven Carlisle