| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (1946chevytruck, Gdads51, 55shaker, Swami29, Otto Skorzeny, 3800GUY, tclederman),
97
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,604 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 32 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 32 | I am still at the beginning of my project but wanted to start looking at bed designs. I hate to admit, but I never noticed my ton and a half frame was cut off 6 inches past the last cross member. How much frame am I missing? I'll probably just end up with a smaller bed, but if I wanted to extend it back out, how much would I be adding? Thanks!
-Doug Frantz 37 Chevy 1.5 ton and various other scraps of iron still on the road
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | 1 1/2 tons came in 2 different wheelbases. 131" and 157" not sure if they extended different lengths past rear spring hanger mount. This doesn't answer your question. Do you know your wheelbase? My 38 is the 157" 38 and 37 share the same frame as far as I know if yours is 157" I'll get the measurements.
Last edited by kb3csw; 04/11/2012 12:27 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 32 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 32 | I don't know the wheel base.. I'm pretty ignorant to the whole truck. I bought it 2 years ago for 400 bucks (its most of the cab and the front sheet metal plus the frame and a 56 chevy motor). Then I moved 11 hours away from the truck because of work. I'd like to start doing some small projects and parts collecting for it and get some guys I know to fix up the cab for me. It is a duel rear wheel axle, was that an option for both? I'll have to get my guys to measure it for me. Thanks for the info.
-Doug Frantz 37 Chevy 1.5 ton and various other scraps of iron still on the road
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Frantz, I believe the frames are about 35" long from the center of the axle to the end of the frame rails on both wheel bases. The frame sits lower than the top of the tires so any bed you install will need to be mounted on timbers (beams) installed vertically on top of the frame, raising the bed above the tires. When this was done back in the day these timbers would typically extend past the end of the frame by about 2' putting the back of the bed about 5' behind the axle center line. Hope this helps... Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | I checked mine before leaving for work from flat edge of crossmember to end of framerail was about 9 1/2". Chevrolet offered a lot of variations at that time you could get a single rear wheel version or dual wheels on the short or long wheel base you could get the lighter duty main rear spring only short or long wheel base. You could get the heavy duty package with overload (sometimes called helper) springs on either short or long wheelbase. I have seen the single rear wheel configuration referred to as a 1ton even though it had 20" wheels, just can't remmember whether it was in shop Manuel or build spec sheet.
Last edited by kb3csw; 04/11/2012 10:13 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 32 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2011 Posts: 32 | Thanks for taking the time to measure. Even though I now realize I know less than I started, I feel like I know some questions I need answered and can work on that. I know the truck was reconditioned at some point due to the later motor and it may have been modified for a new bed at that time. The earliest I'll see it myself is July, but if the new job keeps going well I might be able to get it rolling in a year or two!
-Doug Frantz 37 Chevy 1.5 ton and various other scraps of iron still on the road
| | |
| |
| |