The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jon G, Youngin' Tut 59, Lightholder's Dad, Ponchogl, 3 invisible), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,384
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
Rebuilt my Rochester carb in the 216 a few weeks ago and wasn't real pleased with the results. Engine backfires when I accelerate from 1st to 2nd, coughs and sputters then lines out. Have to fiddle with the choke too to keep it running smooth. How important is the adjustment of the screw on the side of the throttle body? I think it adjusts the air/fuel mixture. I backed it out the 1 1/2 turns per the instructions in the kit. Would that help smooth out the rough running? I thought about the vacuum advance on the distributor not working properly too making it backfire when I give it the gas. Possible? It wasn't a problem before.

Thanks for any comments.



Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Spot, I see in your signature line that you have a couple other old Chevys. You could take a known good carb from either of those vehicles and see if the carb is your problem. Just a thought. Don

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
Good idea Don. I'll try that this weekend.


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 291
CARTER YF. I had some many issues with my old B that I gave up and switched.

Good luck.

Im sure a Rebuilt B would work just fine as well.


1959 Chevy Apache 3100/ 283 TBI / 4L60E

My YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/mikebtte
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
If you're running a 216 the carb to have is a carter W1 ,I took the "B" off of mine and ran the W1.It got better milage,better starting and ran like a top. Took that truck to Kansas city and back and got 15 to16 MPG.No hesatation,no problems at all.It's the carb that they put on 216s untill Chevy started installing the "B".


Pete

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
Y
'Bolter
'Bolter
Y Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 649
I'd just like to put in a good word for the rochester. I had attempted to rebuild a couple of them without much success. The last two seemed to have turned out OK. I haven't had a chance to put any miles on them, but I know they don't stumble like my previous rebuilds did. Making sure all the passages are cleaned out is the main issue. Just my 2cents.

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
Thanks Grandpastruck & Pete for your reccomendations. Have heard lots of great comments about both carter W-1's & YF's.

YakimaBowtie, I'm going to take my carb off one more time, take it apart & put it back together again....... Slowly!!! Hope the 3rd time is the charm. Either way I'm getting practice! This was my 1st carb rebuild.


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0