The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Robert Crandall, Bill Hanlon, TGP), 150 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#837396 03/21/2012 10:51 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 21
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 21
Seems like I saw some literature once upon a time that says that it's supposed to be synchronized, is this true? On my dad's old truck double clutching second gear is a must. It's not required on 3rd gear but you kinda have to feel it in there. If it is supposed to have synchro's, can they still be had?

Dad says it's always been that way, but I think he also told me that back in the day his dad used parts from 12 different transmissions to make one working one.

Also what about the rear seal? The transmission has a tendency to get dry, the fluid seems to leak out and go down the torque tube. If it's just a little dry you can park it on a downhill incline and the fluid will run back into the trans and it'll be better for a while. How hard is i this to replace.

Finally, what is the correct weight and type of fluid?

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
I just finished rebuilding my 41 3speed which should be the same as your 46. Second and third are syhchronized, I got some of my parts out of a newer transmission 58-59, cluster gear and reverse idler were the same, the newer trans had a four lug synchro, I just cut it down to 2 and it looks the same as the old one now. I think I used the sliding clutch out of the newer trans also but had to machine down the sliding gear because it was too wide. I haven't put it back into the truck yet. I had to take some time to find new or good used parts such as the input gear and the main shaft but I found them.

I can't help you with the other questions, others will come along and help with that. Dave


1941 Chevy
"First rebuild - complete!"
Follow the story in the DITY
1941 GMC resting peacefully
1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete
1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration
1941 Plymouth stock complete
1941 GMC COE in restoration process
Read his Project Journal
1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
bump


1941 Chevy
"First rebuild - complete!"
Follow the story in the DITY
1941 GMC resting peacefully
1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete
1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration
1941 Plymouth stock complete
1941 GMC COE in restoration process
Read his Project Journal
1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0