The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (KEVINSKI, Dennys28), 96 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 141
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 141
So I have had my 248 in the shop for almost two months now. When it got to the machine shop the owner said he Magnafluxed it and there was no cracks. Everything looked good. He ordered new parts. The last time I was there he had it on the boring machine. There was a delay because they sent the wrong valves. After not hearing from him for three weeks I call and he tells me they found a crack in one of the cylinders and the had to weld it. I don't know allot, but it seems to me that would mean that they would have to re bore it. Wouldn't that mean they need to put a bigger piston in? What should I ask him tomorrow? I was a little [censored] today so I let it go, but I have some serious concerns that they cracked it. Is that possible? Tell me what to do!!!


Trombones Totem Poles And Old Trucks!
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I haven't heard of welding a cracked cylinder but I would want a sleeve in there myself. A buddy of mine was having his 216 rebuilt and when they were boring, they ran into rust holes from the water jacket. They installed sleeves.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I have been at this a long time and I have never heard of welding a cylinder. Sounds like a BIG NO-NO
It is common to sleeve a cracked cylinder.
I would take your engine to a different shop if possible.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by Pre '68 Dave
I have been at this a long time and I have never heard of welding a cylinder. Sounds like a BIG NO-NO
It is common to sleeve a cracked cylinder.
I would take your engine to a different shop if possible.

If you bore one cylinder don't you have to bore all the cylinders.
I don't think you can have different size pistons in one engine.
The pistons all have to be the same size, Right?

jorb

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
During the Great Depression they may have bored one cylinder only, but not since then.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 141
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 141
He already bored all the cylinders, then he found the crack. I would think he will need to re bore all of them to match. I'll go over and sort things out today.


Trombones Totem Poles And Old Trucks!
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,223
You need to see where the crack is before getting worked up, if its at the top of the bore on the deck, then welding would be OK, deep in the bore is really wrong and a sleeve should be used. Boring one bigger would not kill the engine, its not ideal and will work, but a sleeve and boring to the original size would be better. Don't bore all bigger just to match one, sleeve one back down. In the future if something was to happen or it needed bored again, you will be out of material to cut and six sleeves will be needed.

Time to go see for yourself and push to get it done or moved, two months is way to long.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
Sleeves come from the factory slightly under standard cylinder size, and they can be bored to whatever size the rest of the cylinders are. Sleeves come in either 3/32" or 1/8" wall thickness. Here's the drill:

Bore the damaged hole either 3/16" or 1/4" oversize, depending on the sleeve wall thickness. Leave the hole about .002" smaller than the sleeve diameter.

Drive the sleeve into the hole, using a piece of steel plate and a BFH. Face the sleeve off flush with the top of the block.

Bore the sleeve inside diameter to match the other cylinders.

If a crack or hole is within 1/2" of the top or bottom of the cylinder, junk the block.
Jerry




"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Drive the sleeve into the hole, using a piece of steel plate and a BFH.

When sleeving valves putting it in dry ice greatly reduces the installation force requirement and is there a reason not to do that for automotive applications? IMO there's no way a weld repair will match the hardness of the parent material so if there's any possibility a piston ring could make contact with the weld it will wear out rapidly.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
248s are pretty common, I'd be looking for a new block.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 141
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 141
Crisis not a crisis.

It was my mistake and misunderstanding. He needed to cold weld the combustion chamber in the head!! Not the block. He said it was a very minimal crack that was considered within the normal/common range.

He's said my motor is coming along beautifully!!!

Lesson learned. Listen better!!


Trombones Totem Poles And Old Trucks!
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Well, that's good then. I'll bet you let out a sigh of relief!


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
Originally Posted by Curt B.
When sleeving valves putting it in dry ice greatly reduces the installation force requirement and is there a reason not to do that for automotive applications?

What sort of valves are you referring to? I shrink valve seat inserts in cylinder heads in a dry ice/alcohol mix before installation, but the shrink fit is much tighter than a cylinder sleeve. A cylinder sleeve is also several inches long, and the hammer method helps it align properly with the bored hole as it's driven in. I've also used a hydraulic press to push the sleeves into place, but the hammer method seems to work the best.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Doh! My post makes little sense if one doesn’t know I’m referring to a valve like this with shaft bores similar to that of automotive cylinders. Possibly cast iron sleeves are more cooperative to work with than always having to match the parent material.




1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
"cold weld the combustion chamber"

What is cold weld? Is that like hot ice?


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0