Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,403 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Looking good!  I drove my fire engine looking just like that for about 3 years before I tore it down for a paint job. Mike B 
Last edited by Mike B; 03/16/2012 3:37 AM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | Thanks Mike, I'm hoping to get it painted early summer. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy tri5trucking, that's a very nice looking truck! I've never seen a 57 with that style of ten bolt wheels, did you put some 58 hubs on it, or do you have adapters, or how did you put those wheels on that truck? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 73 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 73 | Nice truck is it a 322 buick engine? | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | The truck came factory with the big ten bolt pattern as far as I know. That made it very easy to swap over from the 20" split rims to the 22.5" tubeless. I chose to go with the painted wheel look as was traditional for the year but it's tempting to put the alcoa wheels all around. Like Mike B's truck it has the 322 buick motor. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Speaking on the 322, what color is yours painted? Mine is Chevy Orange, but most sources list them as being Red. Can you add some engine pictures to your webshot page? I don't have any literature on the big 10-lug axles being offered in 1957, but I do see a part number for the wheels in my 1963 parts book starting in 1957. Fire trucks were always built different. My brother is the President of a small VFD and they just bought a single axle tanker with a 52K gvw, so anything is possible. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | Mine is also orange. It has a newer carb and alternator. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2612692550101465522UEYTNQI would agree, government agencies always have different stuff. The 56 ton and a half Napco I had had a 261 which was available for 2 ton trucks but it was a power co. truck. I know a local fire department that bought stock piled new old stock diesel engines and was able to use them in new trucks without meeting that years emission standards. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Tri5, Thanks for the engine picture. My engine is the same color. I noticed your water manifold under the T-stat housing isn't painted and maybe the timing cover. Can you check your engine block to see if it's painted. Everything on my engine is painted except for the Block and Timing Cover. I wonder if my block was replaced at some time? I can't find a serial number either... Mike B  | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | I can't tell if the block or timing cover was painted. They are pretty dirty. I can see the bell housing has orange paint on it and the driver side valve cover has the "loadmaster V8" still visible. I just had a couple pictures sent to me from a member of the Oregon fire museum. He thought I might be able to pick up some parts from these trucks. They aren't GM, but I had to send you the picture to check out the rear wheel covers. Both these trucks were built by Roney, same as mine. It would be great to get a booster reel and the wood ladders. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2140559390101465522iYVUbO | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | I always thought my block was painred, but after removing the heads I see it wasn't. There really isn't much of the block exposed. My bell housing is orange also. Next time you under the truck look behind the exhaust manifolds for signs of paint. The serial number is located on the drivers side of the block. The spark plug cover needs to be removed to see the flat spot where the number is stamped right between the 2nd and 3rd spark plug on that side. The fender skirts look neat, but your tires may be to wide for them to fit without rubbing. Your truck could have come with wood or aluminium ladders as speced by the fire company that ordered your truck. My build sheet said I had aluminium. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | I'd never put the skirts on, I just thought they were funny. I'll check the block out again.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Tri5, Can I get a close-up picture with measurements of the "LOADMASTER V8" decal? I want to have them made for my truck. Thanks, Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 73 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 73 | Mike, I have a few pictures of a 57 fire truck with a good picture of a partial loadmaster decal still present. The truck also has a tach on the lower left dash. If my memory serves me I picked these photo's off ebay about 5-6 years ago. I only have photo's off of regular copy paper and they are pretty good but I have no way to scan them to send you a picture. If you are interested I can take a digital photo and maybe send them if they look ok. Its a very nice truck and were abouts unknown to me. Geary | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Geary, Lets see what your have! I can have new decals made as long as I can see the letter font type from one or two letters and have enough to scale there size. I assume the letters are Black... Thanks, Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 73 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 73 | OK Mike I will get the photo's some how. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | Sorry for the delay but here's the loadmaster pic. The logo is 7" long centered between the ridges with the letters 1 1/4" tall that are 1 3/4" to the top of the letters from the base of the valve cover. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2151677120101465522yNvwxF | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Tri5, Looks like the factory left a big run in the paint on the valve cover...lol Thanks for taking that picture! I sent yo a PM... Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 73 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 73 | Mike,
Loadmaster decal that tri5 shows looks the same as the photo I have. Off subject but do you know if the lower left dash tach was a factory option. My lcf has a factory hole ( tach is gone) that looks exactly like the 57 fire truck I referenced earlier.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | lcfman, The Tach is a factory option "RPO-266" and is located between the light switch and choke knobs. The bottom of the hole should be close to the bottom of the knob bezzels. Puts the knobs at 4 and 8 o'clock. The Low Air light if equiped with air brakes goes above the light knob at about 10 o'ckock on the tach. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Tri5, Did you get my PM asking for an email copy of the LOADMASTER picture? Mike B  | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | I tried the address but it was returned. I'll give it another try. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | Looks like my mistake. You should get it now. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Got it, Thanks! Mike B  | | |
| |