Hi all, I have a newly installed Zenith 228 on my 1957 235 Chevy motor. My concern is that I hear a snapping/popping/cracking sound (not sure how to describe it) from my exhaust at an idle and is more pronounced when say I downshift. I know it is a better carb than my old Rochester but I never heard this sound with it. It runs well otherwise, starts good and has good throttle response. Any thoughts on what can be done to resolve this? If more information please ask, thank you in advance for the help.
Take care, Steven No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.
If you could link to a video demonstrating your situation it would help. I'm trying to avoid the temptation to suggest you have a cereal infestation problem
CASO - not a valid issue. The cereal infestation would be snap / crackle / pop. His issue is snap / pop / crackle!
A popping sound from the tailpipe at idle could very well be an overrich idle adjustment.
Some of the Zenith carbs have an inverse idle adjustment (turning the screw in RICHENS the mixture). Just food (not cereal) for thought.
Jon.
Good carburetion is fuelish hot air The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one you attempt to modify. If you truly believe "one size fits all," try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes! The Carburetor Shop
OK I hear the cereal sound... Can there be something loose in the muffler? Sounds a bit like a rattling sound being created on the back pressure at first. another thought is what about the flapper in the exhaust manifold. If that spring is a bit weak could that be 'bouncing' a little and sending the sound on down the line? maybe a stethoscope or long screwdriver at the heat box on the manifold would confirm or dismiss that one? otherwise it beats me...