The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Cletus1950, Charles in CA, TrknGMC, UtahYork, dt235sd, Peggy M), 185 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#836605 03/19/2012 2:45 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 11
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 11
Can anyone give me a tip on getting these pins out. I don't want to mess something up. thanks, dean

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
Not sure if '42 pins are similiar to AD pins, but I am in the middle of rebuilding the door hinges on my '52 AD. The Tech tip article on the subject is excellent. yesterday, I was sucessful in removing two pins. I tried driving them out using heat a drift punch and two pound hammer...no luck. I had to cut the pin as described in tech tip. On one hinge, I was then able to drive the remaining pin remnant out of the hinge leaf. On the other hinge, I was able to drive the pin half way out, then no go...ended up drilled the rest of it out (used drill press). For the remain two hinges, I am just going to cut the pin and drill it out...way easier than trying to beat the crud out of it.

On all four of my hinges, the pin was frozen in the door hing leaf. The pin was moving at the door post leaf which is NOT the way it was designed. So, the post leaf holes are worn too large, so oversized pins will be needed.

Hope that helps.

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Lots of penetrating oil. Let it soak in for 3 or 4 days with multiple applications. I ended up using a drift punch and hammer to take mine out.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 11
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 11
Thanks for the info. I'm on it......


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0