The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Guitplayer, 78buckshot), 253 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#835249 03/14/2012 6:54 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
Hi I'm putting a new tailgate on my 1949 1 ton. The truck is a deep green faded color, the tailgate comes with a black finish I believe is either a powder coat or baked on finish. Do I need to prime or just scuff the surface prior to painting? Right now I just want to keep every thing green but I'm planning that if this comes out OK that I may consider painting the whole truck once I get the dings cleaned up. Any advice is welcomed. As for my ability... I'm new to this but willing to try and learn. I did paint a car for my son 15 years ago, borrowed a friends equipment and did it out in the driveway, not perfect but everyone was pleased.
Thanks, Mike

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
"new" as in from a vendor? it won't be powder coat, especially if flat rather than glossy and it's not baked, it's EDP [electro coat] primer ... just scuff and paint

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 18
Thanks for the reply. Yes, new as in from a vendor. Great that keeps it simple. I'll post pictures when it's done. Just replaced the wiring harness today, happy everything worked on the first try!
mike

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
I'd suggest washing with hot H2O and dawn then scuff then W and G remover then paint to be safe.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
I found that EDP coating to be applied so badly on my doors that I took it down to metal before spraying epoxy primer.

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
P
ptl Offline
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
you always want a mechanical and chemical bond for your topcoat(paint). so,sanding(mechanical bond) and sealing with proper sealer(chemical bond)is the standard in the auto refinish business. absolutely no bare metal! ptl (40 yrs. b.s.t.)


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0