The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, tclederman, Lostbuthaulinass, 1 invisible), 81 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,478
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 220
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 220
Hello!

Today was bright, sunny, and in the 50s, so I decided to take my '59 Apache out for a spin. After about 1/4 of a mile, I felt that something just wasn't right...the gears were whining loudly in 1st gear, the truck was shuddering during takeoff, and I was hearing an occasional clunk/bang from the rear. I thought that it might be that the clutch was on its way out, or a bad U-joint. When I pulled into my friend's house, I crawled underneath to take a look. U joints? Solid and tight...then I looked at my rear axle/springs. Two of the four spring shackle nuts were gone on the driver's side, one was hand tight, and the other had backed down the bolt about 3/4". The other side had all the nuts, but they were less than hand tight. Tightened everything up with a 15/16 wrench, and drove to Ace Hardware...SLOWLY. Got 2 5/8 grade 8 nuts and 8 grade 8 lock washers. Tightened everything up right there in the parking lot.

So...Lesson (to me) for the day...

If something doesn't seem quite right, it probably isn't.

Glad I didn't damage anything.

Chris
Less

Last edited by cletis; 03/11/2012 1:21 AM. Reason: Language
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
You might want to play the Lottery tonight! dance

I just gotta ask... have you recently had the bolts out of the spring shackles?

Last edited by Hot Rod John; 03/10/2012 11:34 PM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 220
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 220
Yes...I installed a Dana 60 this spring. I tightened the bolts with an impact gun. I guess not tight enough.

Chris

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
A fella once told me that God looks out for children and Hot Rodders...

Perhaps getting back under there and using a torque wrench would be time well spent?

The fellas that bolt up flanges where I work use impact wrenches... they are miserable when it comes to repeatable accurate torque application because they rely on air pressure and how long you hammer the fastener.

For critical fasteners always use a torque wrench. It's advice I need to follow too. thumbs_up

Last edited by Hot Rod John; 03/10/2012 11:41 PM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
Spring U-bolts have enought "spring" to them that they will wind up & spring back with an impact, be air of electric. You can feel it when tightening them by hand.

Glad you caught it before things got real exciting!


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0