| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,268 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#83358 09/24/2007 7:15 PM | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 42 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 42 | I see a lot of post on how to change old transmission & differential oil. My 53 Chevy set up about 20 years. Is changing the oil necessary or should it just be topped off & driven? Could draining & filling with new oil start some leaks ? The truck has a new 235 & new clutch. I have driven it 100 feet several times over the past 4 years that work has progressed with no apparent problems but now I would like to start driving to the mail box & back every day about a 1/2 mile. Thanks, Kelly 53 3100 http://www.cravy.com/53-3100/LadyAfterRats.jpg | | |
#83359 09/24/2007 8:12 PM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | etx44,
My unprofessional opinion; Draining both transmission and differential and refilling with fresh 80w-90 wouldn't cause these to develop leaks.
You could probably top off and be fine, but draining and refilling wouldn't be that expensive, and would certainly give you peace of mind that those two items were good to go for another 54 years.
Stuart | | |
#83360 09/25/2007 5:47 AM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | You might want to consider adding an appropriate amount of Lucas additive to each. There is a specific ratio listed somewhere. I am not a fan of additives but found a lot of positive comments on the product. I have some in my transmission and either I'm a smoother shifter or it works. | | |
| |
| |