The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Swami29, Otto Skorzeny, Gray_Ghost, Youngin' Tut 59), 143 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,605
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
Hello all, I have a few questions.

I just had the head rebuilt on my 235, which is great since the old one was cracked, had worn guides, sunken valves. The motor will now idle down to 500ish rpm, when previously it would die below 750. Now that I have everything together, I have a few questions.

At idle I have a knocking noise, which goes away above 1000 rpms. There is no change in noise if I pull spark plug wires off, and the noise seems to be coming from the pan somewhere. Does this sound like a rod knock? Most rod knocks I found on Youtube were less rhythmic. If so, am I probably looking for a new crank when I rebuild the bottom? I'm just trying to estimate costs.

Thanks, Vince

http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb458/vincejohnston/?action=view&current=VIDEO_0011.mp4

Last edited by Coachie; 03/07/2012 7:02 AM. Reason: link didnt work.
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
Oh, and sorry for the horrible video, it's from my cell phone. But at least the sound is pretty clear...

Thanks again.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
That sounds like a lifter noise to me. Sometimes a manifold gasket leak can also make a similar sound.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
Thanks Dave. I've checked the lifters twice now, but I will again tomorrow. I know I can check for an intake leak with propane, is there any test for an exhaust leak, other than noise?

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
Also, would a manifold leak explain why my manifold vacuum drops to almost 0 on quick acceleration from idle?

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
It is normal for vacuum to drop on acceleration.
Is this a solid or hydraulic lifter engine?
Blocking the tail pipe momentarily can change the sound if it is an exhaust leak.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Well it definitely is not a rod knock. I would take a piece of 3/8 plastic hose, put one end to my ear and poke around with the other end. I find it to be a good listening tool and it is very directional.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
It is a manual lifter engine. When I pulled the valve cover off yesterday to adjust the valves, I left the motor running for a minute or so. The sound seems to come at a faster pace than any one rocker, more like twice the speed.

I'll ask my buddy to put something over the exhaust, I assume I would hear noise around where the leak is coming from, right?

Thanks again.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
I had a similar noise in a flathead one time. It turned out to be a dent in the flywheel cover and the teeth were nicking it as they went round. I hammered the dent out and that was the end of the noise.
May you be so lucky.


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Has the pan been off for any reason while you did the head?
It sounds like a crank lobe frequency to me. I had a similar but slightly lower toned knock after my reassembly. I wound up taking my oil pan off close to a dozen times trying to locate the 'knock'. I pulled things apart and checked and rechecked but couldn't find the origin of the knock.
I finally set up my video camera and recorded the engine turning over with the pan off. Then I checked the sound track in my software editing program and saw where the knock occurred, then I could see it was at the bottom of the #3 (or is that #4?) lobe and the only thing possible was that return line. It was just barely missing the line when I would turn and check by rotating the crack by hand but once the centrifugal forces came into play it no longer missed.


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
When you adjusted the valves did you check how much wear was on the contact face of the rockers where they hits the top of the valve?
The rockers are known to wear significantly. The problem is that the rocker is wider then the valve stem and wears a recess in the rocker. Then when a standard width feeler gauge is used it bridges the wear point and gives a false reading.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
Wow, thanks for all the ideas.

I'm going to grab a stethescope from Harbor Freight on my way home. They're on sale, and I have a coupon. smile

I'm also going to drop the pan this weekend, and take a look around. I didn't when I removed the head, but it's got a very small leak anyway, so changing the gasket is probably in order. Is there anything I should know beforehand? Anything special outside of removing all of the bolts around the rim?

Finally, when I pulled the rocker assembly off the head, I cleaned each rocker and the tube they sit on pretty well. I'm not sure how to check the rocker wear, but each one was smooth, and rounded. There wasn't a valley in the center of the rocker arm, they were rounded yet flat. If that makes any sense. Also, if I remember right, on the face where the rocker rubs the valve stem the center was silver, with a darker outter ring. Is that normal?

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 84
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 84
Fuel pump? Seems to be the right frequency and location. Excessive clearance causing the pump rod to slap the cam? Or maybe a stuck lifter?

Last edited by Drydock; 03/08/2012 12:35 AM.

1945 1.5-Ton Chevy Big Bolt
Maynard
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix of the old truck
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
I had a problem where I wasn't getting much oil to my rockers and they were pretty noisy like that. The rear connection of the oil supply tube that is located behind the pushrod cover was completely blocked with crud. Here is a picture:

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/bohon/56%20Chevy%20truck/Blockage019.jpg[/IMG]

Here is the same hole after cleaning:

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/bohon/56%20Chevy%20truck/Blockage021.jpg[/IMG]


1956 Chevy 3200
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 71
Joe, is that the hole that has a copper line running out of it? I think I'm getting enough oil to the rockers, but I'll check that out too.

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 814
Mine was metal. Yours might be copper. It's behind the push rod cover. As soon as you take the cover off, you'll see it. The area shown in the picture is where the rear-most end of the tube threads into the block. In the photo I have removed the fitting the tube threads into but the fitting itself was packed full of crud, too. I don't know the history of your engine, but mine sat for many years. I had to eliminate all the suspects from the rockers to that particular fitting and this included the overflow tube that loops over the rocker arm assembly, the drilled-out head bolt next to that tube, the passage in the block that leads down behind the push rod cover, the tube behind the push rod cover, and finally, the fitting I showed in the picture. There is a threaded plug on the passenger side of the head that you can pull while the engine is running and see if there is any oil coming out. If so, you should be good. In fact, that's the first thing I'd do before taking stuff apart.


1956 Chevy 3200

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0