The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (55shaker, Woodcmiami, Rusted Nut, Gdads51, CuzzFuzz, Still At It, 1 invisible), 156 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,138
Posts1,056,441
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 27
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 27
Engine & whole front end shakes violently side to side when clutch is engaged if too little power is applied (higher RPM seems to overcome the problem) Have tightened the engine mounts. Don't get clutch chatter exactly but wondering if the fly wheel needs to be resurfaced.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
You say you tightened the engine mounts. Are you sure that they are not broken? It is a good idea to resurface flywheels at clutch replacement time. Did this suddenly start or has it been going on for some time?

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy revted47, I think removal of the transmission and some investigation is in order, the flywheel may be contaminated with oil, it may need to be resurfaced, the clutch may be worn, the flywheel might even be loose. Are your front shakles, springs, bushings, pins, and "U" bolts in good shape/tight? Hope that helps.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
might have rotted rubber in one or more of the engine mounts

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 187
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 187
Hi reved47, Ok this is actually the first time I am giving aa comment rather than asking for help. I am a newbie to this whole SB thing and luvin it. I bought a 58 3600 last fall and was having the same problem. I came to the forum and got several answers. I think it boiled down to a couple of things. a) I just wasnt good at driving a clutch b) oil on the clutch plate. As I drove it, I guess the oil would burn off and I starting lowering my rpms. both helped. One fellow said to take off in third a the first time and that will help burn off the oil as well. The combination of all this advise has helped me. Good luck


Rick
58 3600 4 on the floor
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 27
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 27
Hey BIG thanks for all those suggestions - I'll be looking into it this weekend. In response to questions - my daily driver is a'53 PU with a 235, been driving it more than 40 years, over 200K mi. The problem is in my '54 coupe. It's been that way quite a while. I recently replaced the clutch. I've learned to drive it without the shakes, but I'm ready now to dig into it and finally fix the darn thing! Sure appreciate all your suggestions.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 413
You may have a flywheel problem, I ran in to this the other day.
I got a call from my mother in law, she described having the same problem on her subaru. In higher gears & faster speeds it would go away. Eventualy she got stuck at an intersection & couldnt take off in first gear.
being an hour away, I couldnt diagnose the problem over the phone.
She had it towed to the dealer, they found a cracked flywheel.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 130
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 130
hello revted47. i had the shaking experience you describe with a truck a while back, in fact i think the previous owner gave me a good deal because of the shaking when the the clutch was let out. i found by chance that the vacuum advance on the distributor was not working properly, and after replacing the vacuum advance diaphram , the shaking diappeared ! hope this helps.


our garage is a non-profit organization

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0