| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,580 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | I have a musty, "mousy" smell when I turn on my heater or AC (1965 C20). I think that when my truck was in a barn for two years waiting for me to buy it some mice got into the heater hoses and did their thing. I am wondering how I can remedy this. I have heard that I can spray an antibacterial spray (like Fantastic) into the cowl with the blower going and the spray would get sucked into the hoses. Has anyone had experience with this?
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | Back when I was in the shop, we had an AC man that would spray "Lysol" disinfectant spray into the return duct. I don't know how long it lasted but it sure smelled fresh when it left the shop. That "fantastic" can be a mess and I don't care for the smell. Just my 2cents. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | if the defrost tubes themselves smell mousey, replace them, you won't get rid of the smell otherwise, but most likely there's some nesting material in the heater box, your best bet is to take it all apart and give it a good clean out
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | Wow, nice truck! Thanks for your advice. This sounds like a stupid question but what is the return duct? Is it the cowl?
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | Thanks Bill. It probably is in the heater box. Rob
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | Check the ducts as mentioned, dust/critters/coins... Take the top panel off the top of the heater box in the engine compartment and clean out the leaves... heater core might be leaking and funkin' up the joint. heater box pics - 1965 c10 -W | | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | W - thanks for the info and great photos. Rob
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | get a box of dryer sheets and put some sheets in the cab and where ever you can stick them in short time the existing smell will be relaced with something more pleasant. supposed to keep the mice out too but i dont know cause my cats took care of that some time ago | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Sounds like Dirty Sock Syndrome. Chrysler products get it really bad if you don't turn the AC off for a few minutes before turning the vehicle off. The box stays wet and the bacteria grow like crazy. I've rarely had that issue with other vehicles. Maybe they're engineered to drain better??? If you have something plugging the drain so you have water sitting in the box that could be the issue.
Last edited by Tiny; 02/23/2012 3:17 PM.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2012 Posts: 206 | Thanks 51 and Tiny. I appreciate your input in this discussion. I am quite sure the smell is coming from mouse stuff in the heating system. I am familiar with this because I had a pop-up camper. The mice camped in it every winter despite my countless efforts in keeping them out (even including dryer sheets) and eventually ruined it. I know the smell all too well. I will look into your ideas too.
1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
| | |
| |
| |