The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Still At It, 3800GUY, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny), 113 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 144
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 144
I had my original generator converted to 12 v. (new fields).

1. What regulator do I need? Are all 12v regulators created equal or are there specs I need to know about?

2. Any ideas what the amp output of my generator would be (for adding accessories)?

3. I already have a shunt in the fuel gauge circuit, but need a resistor for the heater blower. There are several different resistors out there. What's best for this application? Also, I have a coil with built-in resistor. I'm replacing all of the light bulbs. Any 6v items I might be forgetting? Is the horn ok at 12v?


Dave
www.fallenherosdreamride.org
all give some
MY SON GAVE ALL

The fallen hero's dream ride is a 1951 Chevrolet 3100 with original 216
In memory of LCpl Phillip Vinnedge USMC KIA 10/13/2010 Afghanistan
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
For the heater you need a 1 ohm 50 watt resistor. Some of the vendors sell them. Here is what one looks like resistor for blower motor For the fuel gauge you need a 30 ohm resistor of around a 2 watt rating, in series with the supply, not connected as a shunt. The horn will be very loud on 12 volts but you need a 12 volt horn relay.

Last edited by truckernix; 02/22/2012 4:25 PM.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
That big heater resistor gets super hot and needs to be mounted in a way to be sure it doesn't touch anything. Now knowing better I should have just bought a 12V blower motor instead.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The resistor that I referenced is meant to be mounted on some sheet metal to dissipate the heat. In any case, a 12 volt motor is always a better solution.

Last edited by truckernix; 02/22/2012 9:36 PM.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
Dave,

I posted this request previously when Stovebolters want to replace their 6v heater motor with a 12v ...

If you decide to replace with a 12v motor, please do not destroy the 6v motor. I'm sure that other members would like to have it.

Thanks,


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
The simple fix for the hot resistor is to put it INSIDE the blower motor output duct. The air blowing across it will make it last longer, and keep it from starting a fire or injuring someone. A couple of rubber grommets in the blower duct will insulate the wires, and the resistor is contained safely inside the ductwork.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 190
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 190
1. What regulator do I need? Are all 12v regulators created equal or are there specs I need to know about?

2. Any ideas what the amp output of my generator would be (for adding accessories)?


NO, not all regulators are alike, they have specific amperage settings and should match the amperage output of the generator. Your local shop should have tested the generator for amperage output, load tested the generator and done this within the correct RPM ranges. This is all going to depend on how they built the generator. This tells you what the generator is capable of doing. If the generator will do 40 amps max then go with a regulator that is pre-set for a range of 35-38 amps. All good rebuilders have access to a very large selection of replacement Delco Voltage regulators. Now days there are only 2 regulator manufacturers, one brand is made in USA the other is made in India....stay away from the INDIA brand....They have a cheap price for a reason I personally refuse to sale them. The other option is to find a NOS Delco or older aftermarket reg. but you still need to know the amperage output of the gen. Once you know this and if your local shop cant put you on to a good quality regulator then Message me and I can help you out.

You mentioned adding accessories. This should have been worked out the the folks building the converted generator. They needed some idea of what your adding.
If you know what your doing your original generator could be built to produce 45 to 50 amps, this isnt going to happen with just changing field coils, you will have to change armature as well and then again, the regulator has to match. Typically if you have a 45 amp 6 volt generator and you do a typical conversion to 12 volt you loose some amperage. Not that big of a deal but if you want to convert to 12 volt and increase amperage output thats a different ballgame and you need to know what your doing to achieve that goal.
If the generator will do 45-50 amps and you install a 25 amp rated regulator your higher amp generator wont do over 25 amps.
Sorry for the lengthy post but trying to be as informative as possible so that you understand whats going on.
Ken

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 144
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 144
I've decided to just go ahead and put in a 12v motor. I'll be sure and keep the 6v one with all the other spare parts I'm accumulating.

As for the gas gauge resistor I mis-stated what I installed. It was a runtz resistor and installed per the instructions that came with it.

Ken,
As for the generator. It was converted by a person that does farm equipment electrical work. All I know is he put in new field coils. He is some distance away. Would a local shop be able to test the generator or is it something I can do? This is the regulator I was considering using (I'm not finding local parts houses to carry regulators compatible with generators): regulator
I see it does not have an amperage listed.
BTW, the only accessory I'm needing is a sound system with PA for parades. I have not checked what the load requirement is.
Thanks for your help.


Dave
www.fallenherosdreamride.org
all give some
MY SON GAVE ALL

The fallen hero's dream ride is a 1951 Chevrolet 3100 with original 216
In memory of LCpl Phillip Vinnedge USMC KIA 10/13/2010 Afghanistan
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Personally I would go with that regulator. In my 55 second series manual, the 12 volt regulator is set for 24 to 27 Amps maximum.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 190
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 190
The only way you will know the true amperage output is by taking it to a local starter and alternator shop and have them test it with a tester that will show the actual amperage output.
The regulator in the link would probably do you. Im sure that the generator will at least do 25 amps. Its not hard to reach that by any means. If all your adding is a PA then you will probably be good. Put in a good strong CCA battery and not some little something and that wont hurt either.
Ken

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 144
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 144
Thanks.

I will make sure we put in a good quality battery with a high cca.


Dave
www.fallenherosdreamride.org
all give some
MY SON GAVE ALL

The fallen hero's dream ride is a 1951 Chevrolet 3100 with original 216
In memory of LCpl Phillip Vinnedge USMC KIA 10/13/2010 Afghanistan

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0