The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (BC59, 46truck, Ponchogl, Shade Baby, Hotrod Lincoln, Woodcmiami, 1 invisible), 112 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,121
Posts1,056,328
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#828592 02/21/2012 11:40 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
I am wondering if a rear step bumper from a '62 stepside will fit a '65 stepside. LMC lumps bumpers together for '60-'66. I would guess that it would depend on the overall length and the distance between the brackets. I would appreciate any advice on this. Thank you.


1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by RJ
it will not fit, the frames on the 60-62 are wider then the 63-66.

I will politely disagree. I think that it will fit. I might have to eat some crow on this, but a fellow Stovebolt member measured the bolt holes on his 66 Stepside rear bumper. The inner holes were 31" apart (center to center) and the outer bolt holes were 15 inches outside the inner bolt holes.

I drug a 62 Stepside bumper home from the salvage yard and the bolt holes on my 62 bumper are the same as on his 66. (OK, well I got 31.25 " instead of 31").

I think using the proper bumper brackets will make it fit. The brackets ARE different because the frames have different widths.

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
Thanks guys for the info. So what it seems like is that a '60-'66 bumper is OK as long as you use the correct brackets for your truck ('60-'62 or '63-'66)? Is this right?


1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by Cape65C20
Thanks guys for the info. So what it seems like is that a '60-'66 bumper is OK as long as you use the correct brackets for your truck ('60-'62 or '63-'66)? Is this right?

I BELIEVE so, but have to prove it to myself. I have not taken the time to remove the 62 brackets from the bumper and bolt on the 65 brackets I have because I need to weld some stress cracks in the brackets first.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
The rear bumper brackets, consist of four pieces...two inner & two outer. The inner rear bumper brackets lay flat against the center web of the rear frame, to the inside and protrude straight out on the '63-'66 stepside rear sport bumper and they are offset on the '60-'62 trucks, in order to make up for the difference in the frame rail width. The stepside rear sport bumpers are interchangeable between the '60-'66, but the fleetside rear sport bumpers are not interchangeable.

Last edited by 4-5-6 Chevy Trucks; 02/25/2012 2:48 AM.
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
Thanks. What is a sport bumper? Is that as opposed to a step bumper?


1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
I knew Tony would have the most accurate and complete answer. Thanks Tony!

After reading his answer, I must conclude that I have a Stepside Sport Bumper. You can see what it looks like on my BLOG - just click the link at the bottom of this post and then click the BODYWORK PAGE at the top of my web page for some photos.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 02/23/2012 6:11 PM.
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
Thanks for showing me what a sport bumper is. I sure wish I had salvage yards on Cape Cod like you have. They would think I was crazy if I asked for parts for my '65.


1965 Chevy C20 Stepside
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Probably easier to get spare parts here in SC, that part's true. But the flip side of that is that the value of a 65 Stepside in your area of the country is probably triple what you could get for one in SC for the same reason.

Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 206
I guess that's a good way to look at it. Thanks. I think I got to the bottom of my bumper question. The issue seems to be what type of bumper one is talking about. On sport bumpers like you showed pics of the brackets are bolted on so the bumper is interchangeable. On step bumpers the brackets are welded on so the bumper would not be interchangeable. At least this is my thinking on the subject.


1965 Chevy C20 Stepside

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0