The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Guitplayer, TUTS 59, IHPWR), 185 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,227
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#827671 02/19/2012 5:29 AM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 61
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 61
I forgot to ask, do I need to do anything to run pump gas in my 'bolt?

Tom

abxtc #827691 02/19/2012 6:16 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Do you mean 87 octane E10 fuel???

Just pump it in and drive it.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
I'm not sure why you would be asking such a question. I am pretty sure there is more to this question than what was asked. But you have to put it in the tank. If you leave it in the gas station you won't get very far.

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 99
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 99
Maybe a shop manual to figure out where your gas tank is first? :-)
Idk. Must be early. I just cannot understand the question. wink


Saint #827738 02/19/2012 2:32 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
He may be asking if it's safe to run unleaded. The answer to that is yes, it's safe.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Saint #827741 02/19/2012 2:35 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Tom,

Do not let the folks scare you off from asking questions. However, a little information about your concerns would get you better answers.

Are you worried about dirty gas tank or dirty fuel lines or dried out carburetor?

Are you worried about octane or non-leaded gas or ethonal in the gas?

Denny's response is most likely all you need to know.

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 90
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 90
You guys aren't using lead additive?

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Nope. Dump it in from the pump, and put the peddle to the metal.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
lunchbox #827894 02/19/2012 10:06 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Originally Posted by lunchbox
You guys aren't using lead additive?
If I ever am lucky enough to find a 1964 Ford Custom with the 390 Thunderbird Police Interceptor package (like the one my Mom had when her 4 boys learned how to drive), I would be looking for a lead additive, I think.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
these engines don't really produce enough combustion chamber heat to really hurt much. They only have 5.5-1 or 6.5-1 compression. (depending on which year you have) which is one of the reasons you only get 15-17 MPG out of one.

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 90
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 90
No kidding? Guess I can start using the money from lead additive savings for more parts!

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Even the 8.25 compression ratio 235 would most likely not be harmed by lead free gas, unless in an a continuous high revving situation.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
12K now on the valve job and never put anything in the '50, 216 but Marathon 87 octane
e10. Never could get it to ping no matter how far I advanced it and out of curiosity I've
advanced it till the starter wouldn't turn it over.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
abxtc #827998 02/20/2012 3:05 AM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 61
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 61
Oops! I guess that was pretty vague just asking about the gas! I was heading toward not having lead in the gas anymore, did I need differant valves, hardened seats, etc.
Thanks for pointing the error of my ways!

Tom


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0