The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hotrod Lincoln, klhansen), 119 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,357
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
Once again, I'm appealing to the collective knowledge and good will of fellow 'Bolters...

If someone out there has a GM master parts book that encompasses '67-'72 Chevy & GMC trucks, I am seeking the following info:

"What column shift linkage rods fit which trucks...'67 - '72 ?"

Am working on my 1972 Chevy C-10, 2wd, lwb(127")pickup, w/ 250 straight six, and three-speed tranny.
When I got the truck, the column shift had been disconnected, and replaced with a junky floor shifter, which disintegrated shortly after Thanksgiving.

After looking locally, I finally contacted Jim Carter, and they said they had a truck with said linkage, so I ordered it, it arrived, looked ok (but I never saw the originals, so what did I know??).
Went to put 'em on the truck last Saturday when the temp crawled up into the low teens, and .... THEY DIDN'T FIT !!! They seemed to be a bit too short and also struck to toe-board when positioned to where they would've run if they were the right legnth. I went by the factory shop manual for adjusting the column linkage- setting the column levers at neutral using a gauge rod through the levers, etc.; the cab doesn't seem to have collapsed on its mounts, etc....and I was using what I believe are the original tranny side levers, which I found in the glove box, not the goofy fitzall levers that went with the floor shift.

What I want the parts book reference for is to know whether there are different rods for 6 & V-8 trucks, long vs. short wheelbase, 2wd vs. 4wd, model year, etc. or if the shifter rods from any '67 to '72 GM truck with column shift will work....

So, if someone out there can look this up.... I'd sure appreciate it !!!!

Thanks for the help!


Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
If you had to re-install the shift levers on the tranny, make sure you got them positioned right on the shift shafts. I had a similar prob when I rebuilt the 3-speed on my 54 chevy. I got the shift levers re-installed wrong, and it wouldn't shift, the shift rods wouldn't fit, etc...

good luck

chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 258
Chip head,

I tried all possible ways, then looked in the shop book, and it's picture showed 'em both pointing towards the ground, and slightly forward.

Tried that too, but rods no reachee....

So, back to my initial question: parts book, anyone ? Pleeeeeease ?


Frank McMullen
1941 Chevy dump truck
1949 GMC 100 pick-up
1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up
1955.1 4400 dump truck
1941 De Soto & other MoPars
1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0