The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TS3600, 55shaker), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,467
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#825425 02/12/2012 2:30 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
I now have my 261 motor (thanks Roy) and when I was poking around some yesterday I noticed some casting numbers above the #3 spark plug on the head there was a series of numbers then an 848 and below that an 850.

This makes me think my 261 may have an 848 head on it. What numbers do I look for and where would they be located on the head to make a positive identification. Either cylinder head will suit me fine but I find the little details like this interesting


1945 Chevrolet G 506 1.5 Ton Military 4X4
1967 Jeep Cj5 with 283 SBC
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
No has ever come up with a good explanation of those codes. They are not part of the head casting code or the head date code.

Here are locations of various engine codes.

The full code for the "848" head is 3836848.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Here is a picture of a casting number that Tim is describing. 848 head casting number


Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
How was your trip?


1941 Chevy
"First rebuild - complete!"
Follow the story in the DITY
1941 GMC resting peacefully
1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete
1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration
1941 Plymouth stock complete
1941 GMC COE in restoration process
Read his Project Journal
1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by homer52
How was your trip?

I took the heavier trailer which was the right decision imho. Hit a whiteout blizzard 1/2 hour from home going over a 10,000 ft Mtn. pass and had to use 4wd for 25 miles then it was smooth sailing down to Texas and it was fun to meet a fellow member and talk trucks with him and his friend.Drove as far back as Lubbock Tx. and camped at the KOA there for the night after 14 hrs on the road. Up before daylight for a shorter day two in nice weather with a stop in Ft Sumner NM for a visit to Billy the Kid's grave and then drove the rest of the way home to Taos. It was a fun trip and a bit of an adventure and finally getting a nice 261 stovebolt made it all worth it!


1945 Chevrolet G 506 1.5 Ton Military 4X4
1967 Jeep Cj5 with 283 SBC
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
Tim and Tim,

The number I saw is what is shown in photo #4. Next time around I will have a look the other locations for what it is worth.


-Mike-


1945 Chevrolet G 506 1.5 Ton Military 4X4
1967 Jeep Cj5 with 283 SBC
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
I think that engine has the 261 head to match the block. At least that's the best I remember. I don't think it has the "848" 235 head.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0