The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 112 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,425
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#824169 02/08/2012 7:01 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
Hi All,

I have a question regarding the tappered wheel bearings offered by many vendors. I have a 1950 1/2 ton. Is there a difference between the tappered bearings for drum brakes vs disc brakes? I plan on upgrading to the tappered bearings but I also plan on upgrading to front disc in the future. I want to make sure I don't have to buy them twice. What I read is that the disc bearings have a spacer? I plan on keeping the 6 lug wheel pattern if that makes a difference.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

rc356s,

Do you have a disc brake conversion kit in mind? Some come with bearings and some do not.

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 23
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 23
You'll use the stock hub assembly with a disc brake conversion, so the same tapered bearings will work equally well with drums or discs. You'll need to change out the old inner and outer bearing races, and replace them with the correct ones for the tapered bearings.



Cheers,
Fraser

1950 Chevrolet 1300 1/2 ton (Built in Oshawa)

http://1950Chevy.blogspot.com
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
I just took a look at that link and the expensive complete 6 lug kit did not come with the tappered bearings. The tappered bearign kit said is was for pasager car hardware. Does that mean only for 5 lug rotors?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Sorry, here is a a tapered wheel bearing kit that should work?

Wait to hear from someone who has done this (I have not).

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 261
Ouch, that is pretty expensive but I looks like it will work with either drum or disc.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I think that kit is less expensive than a set of regular inner and outer bearings from that same vendor (or, from NAPA).


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0