The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#823098 02/05/2012 5:22 AM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 96
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 96
I have a 42 GMC with a 228 engine installed. I'm having a few problems that I think all stems to the fact that the carb is to a 270. When I bought it the guy though the shifting problem was from the engine sitting since 1982 and still using the fuel left in it. It ran a little “Slow” but sounded good. I put new gas in, engine cleaner and oil cleaner. The engine ran a lot better but it’s still having this problem. I think it needs ran some more too clean out the system, it gets better every time I drive it.

Problems:

High idle, I know pretty obvious, but the question is; is there some kind of attachment that I can add that restricts air flow down to 228 specs? Or do I need a new carb?

Shifting up from 2nd to 3rd it takes some time after shifting to regain speed. Going from 3rd to 4th I have to have a downward slope to keep the engine from slowing and stalling even with the gas floored.

Down shifting from 5th down when I hit neutral the engine reved extremely high and I had to kill the engine, I thought pushing it into 4th would blow the transmission up.

I am going to post this in both engine forum and the driveline forum because it seems it may be relevant to both.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
down shifting from 5th? what size truck are you talking about. if it were me id do a complete tunig on it and get the carb worked on.

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 96
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 96
its a 2.5 ton military truck with the rear choped to a single axle


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0