Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
136
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 | I'm messing around with a 235 from the casting numbers the block shows to be a 55 w/powerglide, the head shows to be a 53. The vacuum advance is bad and I was going to replace it but decided to go HEI with it. Question being I removed AC R45TS plugs and was curious what everyone else used or recommended. Just FYI the plugs were all super clean and really didn't look like they had many hours on them. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Re gap them to .045 & reuse them. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | Aren't R45TS tapered seat? Shouldn't it be R45S? Tapered seat plugs weren't used on 235 heads. (And yes... I may be all wet on this.) | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 | Well I can tell you for sure they are R45TS and are tapered but they were in there. What made me run the numbers was the fact I had a 13/16 plug socket in hand and was surprised to see the R45TS. I'm guessing the PO put the plugs in to cure a miss, which was caused by the vacuum leak at intake and advance. BTW that little ball was fun to find for TDC but I took HRL advice and watched the valves, then I found it. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | The 235 heads used a spark plug with a flat steel washer, and if you look close the hole will have a flat surface for that seal to go against. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 | It does, It's just amazing what you will find sometimes. I'll pick up the correct plugs and some new wires. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | The tapered seat plugs will run WAAAAYYY too hot because they can't transfer heat to the head properly. They'll fail within just a few miles and give the engine an intermittent miss that's hard to isolate. R45 plugs gapped to about .040" ought to work very well with the HEI. CR45 commercial plugs will work even better, but they're almost impossible to find now. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 | Thanks guys, the R45 it is then. It actually was running pretty well. The intake took care of the V-Twin shake at idle. If all my parts come in I might have it ready by the weekend and drive it to the swap meet on Sunday. LOL. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Good observation Roy. I missed that TS type plug. I still prefer the extended tip plugs like R45S. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 310 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 310 | When I got my HEI setup from Tom Langdon, his recommendation was AC R44SX's, and I believe I have mine gapped at .060. The "X" suffix was for extended gap, which is necessary for HEI.
-Tim '51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | When HEI first came out Chevy used the .060 gap plugs. We experienced some frustrating damp weather starting problems. They changed the specks to .045 & it solved the problem. They seamed to work OK on Buicks & olds. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | The .060" and .080" gaps were needed because of the extremely lean mixtures they were trying to run in the late 1970's. Cadillacs in particular would develop an intermittent miss at .045", and run right at .080". There was a better chance of a little bit of fuel ending up between the plug electrodes with a wide gap. They finally richened up the mixture and reduced the plug gap in the late 80's. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 | Thanks for all the help guys. The HEI is in with the R45S @ .045. She fired right up and I dialed her in at TDC with vacuum at the can she'll advance another 10 deg. Throttle response is good and no pinging under load. I guess I'll see how long I can put up with those lifters ticking before I attack them. Everyone else thinks it sounds fine and I am a little anal about it, but hey. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 310 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 310 | Just remember that "a noisy lifter is a happy lifter". 
-Tim '51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 78 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 78 | I bought my HEI from Langtons with plugs and he supplied SJ18YC6. Runs great with these.
1951 chevy 3100 short bed frame off resto.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 | I got the HEI off of ebay and used the R45S plugs. It all worked out fine and made a world of difference. I'm happy with the results. Since the shipping was free I have less than a buck and a half in the conversion. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,636 | If those lifters are solid, they need to do a little ticking. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 252 | | | |
| |