The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shade Baby, 1955 1 Series, 55shaker, Wally / Montana), 119 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,448
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#819795 01/26/2012 3:35 AM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 73
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 73
It sounds like a few folks have used a 60's Mustang gas tank in their AD truck. Can anyone give advice on placement? Can it go all the way to the rear and still get the fuel filler in the bed at a decent location? Does it need to go as close to the rear end as fuel lines will allow?
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.


Wayne S.
Colorado Springs, CO
COWayne #820532 01/28/2012 6:45 PM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 73
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 73
I think I asked my question wrong.

For any fuel tank/cell mounted under the bed, behind the rear end, does anyone have details on how far back it should go? I am concerned about the fuel filler in particular. With the tank I bought, it is all the way to the back, close to the center. Should the tank hug up close to the rear end or put it as far back as possible?

The bed was not on the truck when I bought it and I'm guessing the 3600 I bought as an "assembled model" has different dimensions in the back?

I would like to weld in the brackets to hold the tank and I really don't want to mess this up.

Thanks for any and all help.


Wayne S.
Colorado Springs, CO
COWayne #820569 01/28/2012 9:13 PM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
Here's a gas tank install I did....

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21578

MPandC #821480 01/31/2012 2:37 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 303
I put my tank in the back centered behind the axle and used the spare tire crossmwmber and back crossmember to attach my straps to, i used a universal tank instead of a mustang tank. if you search the forum there is a thread that shows some really good pictures of the install. that is the thread that i used as a reference for my tank install. I have some pictures of the tank after installation. PM me if you want me to send you some. here is the link to the thread on gas tank swap https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=795202&page=1

Last edited by tracern1; 02/01/2012 4:23 AM.
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 73
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 73
Thanks guys, appreciate the advice. I'm on the road to putting it behind the axle such that the far back will be a few inches forward of the very back of the truck. Hopefully it will work out.


Wayne S.
Colorado Springs, CO

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0