| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,095 Posts1,056,477 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#81942 08/24/2007 5:38 AM | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2007 Posts: 3 | anybody swap in a modern 2000 and newer eng./tranny combo? I'm looking to swap into my 51 chev/s10 chassis truck. any info would be great! :hammering: | | |
#81943 08/31/2007 1:29 AM | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | You will need to go aftermarket for programming and rewiring to a 5-wire connection. Or grab the entire wiring harness, ECM/PCM and steering column from the donor to get the thing started. You will also need the fuel pump, however do some digging on the web, as there are ways arround that. Westers Garage (mentioned in the forums) is one of many places that does reprogramming.
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | |
#81944 08/31/2007 7:51 PM | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 6 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 6 | JW, Like you said in the gallery section, if you are planning on doing the swap, and have the space for it, get a salvaged vehicle so you can pick up all the wiring, fuel pump, accessories, and computer. I am doing a swap with a 2004 5.3L, however I am doing it the easy way with a carb setup. There are two sites that can help with info on that generation of engine. www.ls1tech.com and www.67-72chevytrucks.com I have had to use this site as well as the others for researching the swap. I am basically in mocking up stage on my swap, installing mounts. I a crossmember style tranny/engine mount from CPP, however there are a ton of venders selling the stuff. So far they have worked fine. The one problem that I am still researching is exhaust manifolds as the truck manifolds I got with my engine dump right into my frame rails. If you have any other questions, I'll try and help. Corey | | |
#81945 09/01/2007 4:28 AM | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 6 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 6 | Sorry, thought of some more info that may help. I had always seen the high dollar LS1 swaps and never paid any attention to them. In Car Craft Magazine, they had an article about buying a boneyard truck 6.0L and they got some good power out of the thing. http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild/116_0704_lq4_short_block 480 HP for $3,775. Not cheap, but shows the thing has potential. If you are a high tech guy, the Fuel Injected engine is an awesome setup. I always thought when I rode in my Dad's 2001 Chevy that it would be awesome in an Advanced Design pickup. The LS1 site I recommended above also has a conversion forum where there are a lot of S-10 guys doing the swap. They should be able to steer you toward the exhaust, and engine mounts that will clear the chasis. I am still trying to find someone doing a similar swap to mine. (stock suspension) Most people are going to go with a custom IFS setup if they are going to put in all the work for an engine swap. If you want any info on a carbed swap, I can tell you some of the things I have learned. | | |
| |
| |