| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,558 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 | Just had an intersting long chat with Tom
Anyone running these?
Square or round coil? (he seems to be a a big fan of the square one monuted on the frame).
What plug wires did you use? I'll probably buy plugs from him.
any thoughts or pics of the install appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 1,458 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 1,458 | Running one on a '60 Apache 10 235 and love it. One of the best upgrades I've made. Running NAPA blue - max wires, application: late '70 up F--d 300ci 6cyl. Fits great! I.ve got the square coil mounted on a plate to the R.H side engine mount holes (my mount is on the front of the engine). Edit: advise to run modern charging system, HEI modules don't like voltage spikes that mechanical voltage regulators produce. BC
Last edited by BC59; 01/24/2012 9:57 PM.
BC 1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc 1949 GMC 250 project in waiting 1960 C60 pasture art Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022 | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 | Hmm..I've still got a generator..I better check that out further...
Thanks for the heads up | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 239 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 239 | I bought one and installed it on my 261 in my '55 1st series. I have the round coil mounted on the engine. Also bought the a pair Weber-Carter carburetors and I am running a 12 volt altenator. I am happy with Tom Langdon advise and products. Larry | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,300 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,300 | I bought one from him and it sat in the box a year or two. I just recently installed it and the difference was amazing. Running the round coil. It took a slightly longer screw to make the coil bracket to hold it correctly, Running two Carter Weber carbs, 12V generator and the matching voltage regulator of 55-56 vintage. It starts better, idles tremendously better even with a lumpy cam. Go for it. You will wonder how you put up with the points as long as you did. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 467 | So you guys are happy with the round coil? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,300 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,300 | | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 34 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 34 | Absolutely the BEST thing I did to my 235! I found a round coil (Ford part) and Ford 6 cylinder wires from NAPA. The Ford coil requires an odd connector plug over the top you might have to scrounge from a wrecking yard. My mechanic buddy happened to have one. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 310 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 310 | I've had one for several years now. Round coil. The thing is great, but I had problems with the ignition module and inductor (I think that's what its called) going bad. It left me sitting at a 4-way stop once. New parts fixed it right up. No regrets.
-Tim '51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 1,458 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 1,458 | Hey FAB, what are you running for a charging system?
BC 1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc 1949 GMC 250 project in waiting 1960 C60 pasture art Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022 | | |
| |
| |