The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Guitplayer), 99 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,425
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#818423 01/21/2012 10:15 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
So I am looking at a 68 C20 that's for sale in my town. I kneel down to look under the rear of it expecting to see the round cover of an Eaton HO-whatever, but no. I don't see that. I see a rear cover that's more or less octagon shaped with the right side stretched-out. There's a visible ridge left of center that I guess is clearance for the ring gear. I didn't count the bolts. Of course it's full floating with 8 wheel studs.
So... what is it?
I am not as up on this series truck as A.D. models. What rears were available?
And I know a lot can and does happen in 40+ years, so I guess it could have been swapped.
Thanks!


Professional Novice
Frank50 #818490 01/22/2012 1:28 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
Check this link:

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1520153275641&id=f3b49e9efe0b2d6d76ca361171e95ef9

If it looks like that, it's a Dana type 60. Very good axle, with plenty of ratios available. It was used by several manufacturers, including GMC, Ford ,Chrysler, International, etc.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
It could also be a Dana 70, which is virtually identical in shape, only larger (10.5" ring gear vs 9.75" ). Those were also common in GMCs of the era, and was optional in Chevrolet, especially 1 ton and Camper Specials.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,818
The Dana 70 was intended to be used with dual-wheel hubs- - - -longer, larger-diameter wheel studs, bigger brake drums, and usually somewhat heavier-capacity hubs with bigger bearings.
Jerry



"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I won't disagree with you on that, most likely it is the 60. But I have seen a few single wheel trucks with the 70, all of them were leaf spring trucks with either the 1 ton package/Longhorn C20, or they were Camper Specials/Camper Customs. One of them was a '69 Camper Special that belonged to my Grandfather (my uncle still has it), and there was also a '71 GMC Camper Custom I almost bought. Both definetly had 70s in them.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Thanks guys! I will take another look at it as I don't remember right now if it had leaves or coils... and it had no markings such as Camper Special, etc. There was a metal nameplate "Custom Cab" on each door under the window. It's an automatic (THM) but I don't know what's under the hood...
It's really a newer truck than I am usually interested in, but something about it has caught my eye.


Professional Novice
Frank50 #818610 01/22/2012 5:07 PM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 91
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 91
count the bolts,it may be a corperate 14 bolt.put one in my 46 one ton with 373:1 gears.It came out of a 70,s or 80,s 3/4 ton chevy

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The Corporate 14 bolt would not be original to a '68, they didn't come out until '73.
Some additional ways to ID what type of Dana it could be; On Dana and Spicer differentials, the series is cast on the housing, usually on top ofthe pinion snout, though I have seen some with the number cast on the left side of the case on the rear, next to the axle tube. Some wll also have the number stamped on the center of the cover, usually under the Dana/Spicer name and logo.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 79
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 79
A quick way of telling a 14 bolt from a dana 60 is the 14 bolt rear covers dont have a fill plug in them, theirs is on the side in the front right side of the casting while the dana axles had a plug in the steel cover.

pope #820585 01/28/2012 10:17 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Just a follow-up: I looked again and it has leaf springs with a 10-bolt cover like in the pic Lincoln posted, so I guess it's a Dana 60. The "for sale" sign reads V8. If I remember right a 68 may have a 307, 350 or 396, right?
I don't think I will pursue this any further - the truck has more rust than I want to deal with...
Thanks for the info!


Professional Novice

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0