The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (TUTS 59), 95 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,624
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#815975 01/13/2012 8:35 AM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 368
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 368
Members:
I have a 54 3100 and the doors have to be slammed..I have farted around till the cows come home and still no luck. Has anyone put on those aftermarked ones from Altermans ( I think thats the name ) if so, how much do you need to modify ? or are they bolt on?
I would like an honest review before I try.
Thanks


1954 Chevy 3100 5-Window
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

"True victory is victory over one's self."
Krav Maga isn't pretty ... but it works just fine.


Jimmi V.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
I don't know, but I am going to keep an eye on this post. I will need new latches and you can never tell the quality of anything any more. (I just assume the worst, and am rarely disappointed)

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
I have tried two aftermarket latches without being satisfied. I ended up replacing the spring in the old ones after soaking them and cleaning them in varsol (actually, it was spray gun cleaner). Work like a champ.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
This guy installed what looks like Altman latches on an AD

Start at post 162

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
I recently replaced the drivers side latch on my '51 1/2T burb. My existing latch was really shot. I got the replacement from Chevy of the 40's.

The actual construction of the latch was pretty decent. It was the exact same design as the original. Unfortunately, once it was latched it would not unlatch. I studied on it a bit and then made a few cuts with a dremel tool, and then it functioned perfectly.

Next problem was when I went to install it, I first bolted it up the the jamb of the door, but when I went to put the screw in from the inside of the door, the was a significant gap between the lock body and the door.

As it turns out, the lock body stamping on the aftermarket latch is formed to make pretty much a right angle. The original body seemed to form a greater than 90 degree angle. I was able to wack the intersection with a ball peen hammar a few times and spread it out so it fit perfectly.

So I am pretty happy with it and the overall quality. It just needed a litle "Tweaking"

On the passenger side lock, I cleaned the original and added one of those little clip on parts over the movable part, and now it works fine.

Kurt

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Originally Posted by DADS50
This guy installed what looks like Altman latches on an AD

Start at post 162


"No Altman Easy Latch Kit will allow you to lock your door by pushing forward on the interior handle. It is advised to use electric lock actuators or fabricate your own lock rods."

This would cause me to stop and think before I leaped.


~Jim
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

a lot of folks just put 'bear claw' latches on these trucks.

I don't know about the '54, but the '64-'66 trucks, the door hinge pins have bushing inserts that get worn and makes the door droop, causing the doors not to want to latch without slamming.

-W

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
I have looked at those latches and my question is: why use those Altman parts instead of stock parts (original or repro)?


'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
wave - the repro AD latches may be junk, but I haven't had any problems with the repro TF latches I've used

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 35
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 35
I have been through two sets of repop door latches. I finally gave up on the passenger side and dug the original out of the iron pile, cleaned it up and put it back in and it works just fine.

I am actually a machine shop instructor and I cant make these darn things work, not for lack of polishing, bending, tweaking, oiling...you name it.

I have spent hours and hours on the drivers door trying to get that repop latch to work. I am really disgusted.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 320
T
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 320
I'm not happy with the repop latches I bought either. I saved my old latches and will probably try to rebuild them when I get a round tuit.


1951 Chevy 1-Ton Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Pictures of the restoration on Photobucket
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
RIP good friend.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=783239#Post783239
Quote from above thread 10/2011
Originally Posted by BIG CHEVY 3600
Most of the vendors have pulled the latches for the 47-51's and sent back to manufacturer. If you can find a vendor selling them he is trying to get rid of inventory at your expense.
.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Well I am going to try the Altman latches, made by Trique Manufacturing. I'll report on how they work out.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 133
I just installed a repo for the drivers side on my "48" 3100. Very little tweaking and works perfect. Purchased from an e-bay vendor called Classic Chevy Truck Parts. Seller name is chevykens. He stood behind his latch to the point that he would pay the freight to return it if I was not happy. I was happy with the latch.


If you never tell a lie, you never need to remember what you said.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,294
One of the most satisfying accomplishments I have had was fixing a very badly worn and corroded door latch on my 50. I totally disassembled it, including removing the parts that were welded on or peened in place. I then replaced worn away metal with a TIG welder, using a good passenger side latch as a reference. It was amazing how much metal was missing. Most of the damage to these latches is caused by misaligned doors due to worn hinges causing them to crash into the striker plate causing broken welds, bent metal and severe wearing away of metal. A misaligned door is also a problem in getting a good latch to work properly.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
I got the Altman latch kit and installed it on the passenger side, and boy am I impressed! I can close the door with one finger and it works perfectly. No more slamming until the glass breaks. Those days are over.

Just have to install the driver's side now.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0