| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,258 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 235 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 235 | I'm trying to get this motor together this week. I put the new cam gear on and the when i went to align the timing marks i found that there aren't anything i would consider a timing mark on my crank gear. I have cleaned it I have taken it to a surface plate and tried sanding it to see if I can find a dimple....Nada... I know it should be in the valley between teeth as the cam gear timing mark is on a tooth. Can someone tell me where the mark is in regards to the key slot? Thanks... Jeremy | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy lostmy47, in the drawings I have looked at the cam gear is marked at the root of the tooth and the crank gear is marked at the peak of the tooth, I'll try and describe the relative positioning, as the person who knows how to link pictures is at work, for the cam gear timing mark to be in the correct place, the cam gear keyway should be approx. at 45 degrees to the right of vertical, the crank gear keyway should be just slightly to the right side of upper vertical, drawing a line vertially through the center of the crankshaft and the keyway lines up with the peak of a tooth on the crank gear, if you count from that tooth four teeth to the left, the timing mark should be at the peak of that fourth tooth, I hope I have made that description understandable, and I hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 11 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 11 | I just put a new set of Cloyes timing gears on my rebuilt 261 and looking back at my assembly pics, the crank gear mark is pretty subtle. It's a small triangle whereas the aluminum cam gear has a definite round drilled dimple that is way more obvious. Hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 235 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 235 | Thanks fOr the input. I'll look at it in the morning and see what I see again. Maybe fresh eyes will help.
Jeremy | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 235 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 235 | 3B- thanks to your description I was able to confirm that the pin [censored] on the timing gear, really IS the timing mark. It is so faint that it is only in the right light ( the moon Over one shoulder, the sun over the other And a magnifying lamp on your head) are you able to see it. I can't even take a photo of it.
Dykam and a surface plate with sandpaper and it barely showed.
Thanks!
Jeremy | | |
| |
| |