Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (Gdads51, jmoore, Donf, TexasA&M48Truck, kades51, Otto Skorzeny, Frank50, Jon G, 1 invisible),
89
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,379 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 | Well I have to jump in and confront my rusted cowl. I have the outer, inner and the outer to inner panels already and have accessed what needs to be replace. I noticed that on the original inner cowl, there seems to be a piece that wraps around the firewall on the front, much like the outer cowl panel. I also did a search and checked out postings on this page. Sounds like no one cherishes the job, but taking time and checking for fit along the process is essential. Fortunately it looks like my inner to outer piece may not need to be replaced, it only has a little rust on the spot weld flange, and only the bottom area on the outer cowl panel. The inner is the worse of the pieces. I also watched "Body Panel Replacement" by Kevin Tetz since I have never done this type of work before and found it quite helpful. I am just a bit nervous about cutting into my truck, but it isn't going to heal itself. I'll take pictures along the process and most definitely will be asking questions as I go. I have some photos of the rusted areas in my online albums. http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=6e336436e6d9422c&sid=8Ibs2LFo3bs3MNothing ventured, nothing gained. A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 171 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 171 | before you start look at this great photo log of the restoration of a 3100 - if it don't put you at ease nothing will  It helped us a great deal! Thanks Woody
....David
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 | 54barnfind, I don't see a link, but were talking about this one? http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558469258SZQBGP A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 59 | Super 55, this is the album that barnfind is talking about. Woodys Cab Restoration The link you have there is very detailed also. Woodys album covers the entire cab. It has been very helpful to me. I have got both sides compeletly replaced and tacked and also did the door pillars, rockers and floorboards. Just make sure you fit the front clip before welding everything up.. Take your time and check fitment before you button it up. Ive had to slice the inner to outer also to get the ribs on the inner piece to line up correctly. Just takes time to get it right. I also had lots of pictures of mine but i updated my iphone and lost them  . Hope this helps!
Daniel
1953 Chevrolet 3800 Stepside
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 | Holy cow. I feel lucky with my cab. Nowhere near as much rust. He has practically a new cab there. Thanks for posting. I bookmarked that. A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Super55
From your last pic it looks like most of your original metal is in good shape on the outer cowl. One thing to consider is to cut the minimal amount of metal (rust outs).
Nothing better than original steel.
Good Luck
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 | Yes, I originally bought a full panel, once I removed the fender and some paint I saw that I only needed a short piece. That DVD I watched on panel replacement also made that clear to save as much of the metal as possible. A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator | | Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,997 | I am starting to think about removing my cab. Since I am fixing the cowls I want to really clean up the bottom of the cab and get a good coating of zero rust on it. I can't paint until spring anyhow since my truck is only in a portable right now and it's too cold and wet out. A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton | | |
| |