The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Steelonsteel, F100Ranger, Naturalthud, 1 invisible), 93 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,140
Posts1,056,466
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 150
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 150
I want to put bearclaw latches on my 49 3100. Would like to keep the outside handles. I've seen a variety of latch sizes and quite a spread of prices. Whose would you recommend? Cutting and welding is not a problem so I've not considered the bolt-in type.

Last edited by Baba; 12/26/2011 6:20 PM.
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 181
www.bowtiebits.com has them in stock.
Normbc9

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
I know welding doesn't phase you but I quite like these bear claws

I'll stick with originals just now but would consider these if the need arises.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
i looked around trying to save some money but ended up going with the altman easy latch kit....saw for the first time in 2010 and was impressed.thought about it for a yr. and bought at the NSRA Nats this yr....i wanted to use my original handles and could not figure out how to do that...was dragging my feet because you cant lock the doors from the inside and i only have the one door lock on the passenger side..contacted the mfg. and they said yes i could install a lock on the drivers door as well...i'll just take them to a locksmith and have them keyed alike......also now if you're a Hamb alliance member,they're a vendor......dave

Last edited by david dyehouse; 12/28/2011 1:59 PM.

1949 Chevrolet 3100

"When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
Originally Posted by Baba
I want to put bearclaw latches on my 49 3100. Would like to keep the outside handles. I've seen a variety of latch sizes and quite a spread of prices. Whose would you recommend? Cutting and welding is not a problem so I've not considered the bolt-in type.


I used a set of large bear claws that I got off Amazon for $35. I decided to shave my door handles but to use the stock handles you can use a set of these to simplify matters. I came across a set of marine style locks that would allowyou to lock both doors. I'd looked long and hard at the Altman setup as well but figured that I could go this route for less than $100.


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by david dyehouse
...the altman easy latch kit...
I've also researched latch kits and methods and that's what I'll be using (haven't bought any yet). The ones I've seen installed looked excellent, very professional, and worked perfectly smooth.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 150
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 150
Ordered latches from Windsor Fabrication. The guy doing my body work recommended these because he has used their stuff in the past. We will be re-using the original pull down handles on the outside. Windsor's phone number is 269-964-2128 they are in Battle Creek, MI.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I looked at the Windsor Fabrication site, is this what you're looking at?
http://www.hotrodssuperstore.com/19chevtrucbr.html

Wonder how they compare to the Altman kit if it's even an apples to apples thing?

I was impressed with how easy to install and professional looking the Altman kit is, made for the truck, no fabrication necessary like some other latch options.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
Hostess has pretty goood bear claws.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 150
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 150
That's the kit. I haven't got it yet but the guy doing my body work has used it on several builds and says it's the one he prefers.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0