Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,100 Posts1,056,513 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 37 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 37 | I saw a very original and nice 1.5 ton AD on ebay last year, it was in Montana. Very burly conversion and it appeared to have been that way for a long time, most likely upfitted when new
Sounds like Napco was making big bolt components at some point and I've also read that Marmon Herrington (usually associated with Ford) was also making components and conversions for GM trucks.
I've never seen a Marmon Herrington conversion on a GM truck, especially a big bolt. Did they ever exist?
I have a chance to get a deal on Ford MH 4wd components and am interested in swapping them into a bigbolt AD....If it was an original possibility on a Chevy I'd be a lot more motivated to start the project.
What says the Stovebolt braintrust? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Most of the AD '47-'54 4WD conversions when new were Coleman units. Get your hands on a Chevrolet "Silver Book" for your favorite year AD trucks, & you'll see a two page ad on them. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 457 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 457 | I've never seen a Coleman Chevy, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Because of the tapered frame, AD trucks are hard to convert to 4x4 unless you have original gear designed for the truck. Spring perches on NAPCO axles are cast into the axle housing and they would be tough to machine off and move. I'm not sure about Coleman gear, but I assume it would be a tough swap. I'm sure the swap could be done somehow, but you would end up with a system filled with parts made of "unobtainium". If you think NAPCO parts are rare....
George | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Yep, Coleman is the Brand. Looking at my Chevrolet "Silver Book" for year model 1952, page 78. Shows the Advertisement for the Coleman-Chevrolet 4 wheel drive conversion. I also pulled out a 1953 GMC Truck equipment book(which is the same as the Chevrolet "Silver Book") shows a "Howe-Quad" 4X4 conversion advertisement on page 20. These books are a valuable resource for information, for available equipment, & non Factory accessories for new Chevrolet, & GMC trucks. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I remember seeing an AD 1 ton Chevy pickup (single wheel) with Coleman conversion on ebay a number of years ago, in CO I think. It had the distinctive Coleman front hubs and used Dayton wheel adapters on the rear to match the Dayton's on the front. If only I had money....
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 37 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 37 | Chevrolet "Silver Book" for year model 1952, page 78. Shows the Advertisement for the Coleman-Chevrolet 4 wheel drive conversion. What is the "Silver Book", I'm not familiar | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | The Chevrolet "Silver Books", & GMC "Special Equipment" books were published each year showing all available equipment, & accessories for the new trucks. They show up on ebay quite often. Their's over twenty of them on ebay now, but the oldest, at the moment, is a 1958 version. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | There is a red Coleman AD PU on the N side of the road in downtown Glenwood Springs, CO., he sometimes alternates w/ a COE.
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 37 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 37 | I saw a very original and nice 1.5 ton AD on ebay last year, it was in Montana. Any Coleman Big Bolt pics would sure be great to post if anyone has some. I'm pretty sure I have pics of the ebay truck on my old computer. It was Original Paint Green and had chains on all six tires. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 37 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 37 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/44715702@N07/6742443073/in/set-72157628346845215 Found pics of the Original 4wd 48 or 49 Big Bolt 49 AD Coleman 4WD ?
Last edited by Cornerwindows; 01/23/2012 6:46 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 90 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 90 | Dear god that is one bad bolt! | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Coleman? I'd guess NAPCO first.. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 37 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 37 | | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | George "Napco Man" has/had a 54 NAPCO 2 ton, the same kit in that truck from new could have been, and I'm sure was on occasion, bought to put in an earlier year AD truck. George has installed his gear from the 54 in a couple year older 2 ton.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Coleman would have been the first choice of 4X4 upfit from what i've seen in Silver Books, & Service Bulletins up through 1953. Never had a 1954, or up book, so I don't know what was available from then on. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I'm doubting it's a Coleman because it's not the characteristic Coleman front hub design, at least what can be seen from the pictures. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | In the 1954 Silver Book, Coleman advertises 4-wheel drive packages for shipping to the customer: 3/4 ton through 2 ton trucks (with single-speed rear axles only). The advertisement also shows a 4-wheel drive 1/2 ton Suburban.
Northwestern Auto Parts Company, NAPCO (in Minn.) also advertises 4-wheel drive with two speed range (same 4WD unit used in WWII military Chevrolet trucks). So, Yes, it was most likely available in 1948.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | the NAPCO site states there isn't any documented case of a Chev NAPCO conversion earlier than 1951 .... of course the one in question may have been retro-fitted with the later AD parts from either Coleman or NAPCO, no telling what it's been thru in the last 6 decades
Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Maybe just on military trucks prior to 1951?
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Another possability would be a company using surplus military axles and transfer cases. I don't personally know of any company doing that with trucks from the time, but ELENCO out the Chicago area was making them for Ford (and perhaps other brands) tractors around that time frame using surplus military parts. I also agree with Grigg, the truck pictured does not have a Coleman axle, which has a very distinct hub.
Bill Burmeister | | |
| |