The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
12 members (TUTS 59, TexasJim50, Jay R, TooMany2count, amtrakjoe, Hotrod Lincoln, cmayna, Woogeroo, Rusty Heaps, Otto Skorzeny, 2 invisible), 93 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,411
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80499 07/27/2007 4:08 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
Hey Guy's:
Looking to install 292 & a '93 Chevy NV4500 in my '54. Do I need a '55-'62 truck V8 bellhousing to keep the clutch/brake pedals working in stock location ?

I'm thinking the mounting holes...trans/bellhousing will need to be modified ???

Anyone do this swap & what are the bugaboos ????



1954 4400

1954 3800

Jim D.

'41 Chevy 1-Ton Pickup/dump...292" 4-speed w/Ranger OD ... Newest Truck

'54 Chevy 3800 Dump........New Truck!
'54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump, Gone to my brother-in-law

'13 GMC 1500 daily driver ... 5.3 6-speed auto just turned 13k miles
'01 Chevy 2500hd, might be my new daily driver ... 6.0 / 4L80-E
#80500 07/27/2007 5:28 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
I am doing a NV4500 swap in my 1940 gmc. I don't know the specifics of the advance design, and the 292, but from what I have learned, THE 1994-1997 DODGE NV4500 IS A EAZIER SWAP. The input shaft on the dodge transmission is 1 inch longer giving you plenty of room for an adapter plate. Of course you could prolly get a chevy v8 bellhousing to mount your 93 chevy nv4500 from advance adapters. You will still have to overcome the electronic speedo. The early dodge version has a mechanical speedo gear instead of a velocity sensor.

Hope that helps
John

#80501 08/06/2007 3:17 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 120
Hi John, Thanks for the reply...My main concern was to keep the stock location of the clutch/brake pedals. I think the 55-62 V8 bellhousing will do that and still bolt up to the 292/SBC/BBC. I'm thinking the bellhousing will need some machine work to mount the NV4500 to it.

Would like to use mechanical clutch fork and not the hyd. slave cyl...I think????

I wanted & found the '93 NV4500 for it's low 1st 6.34 gear and as a bonus it has a PTO and drum brake. I have not given the speedo issue to much thougth....I'll have to deal with that at some time.

I'd love to see some pics of your project! Let me know how the progress is going. 1940 Chevy/GMC is my second favorite truck to own. I'm working on my third '54 and if I started bringing home '40's I would really be in the "Dog House"...I doesn't keep me from looking at them thou. Good luck with yours!



1954 4400

1954 3800

Jim D.

'41 Chevy 1-Ton Pickup/dump...292" 4-speed w/Ranger OD ... Newest Truck

'54 Chevy 3800 Dump........New Truck!
'54 Chevy 4400 flatbed/dump, Gone to my brother-in-law

'13 GMC 1500 daily driver ... 5.3 6-speed auto just turned 13k miles
'01 Chevy 2500hd, might be my new daily driver ... 6.0 / 4L80-E

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0