The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TooMany2count, J Lucas, tclederman, Southerntruck), 69 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,398
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#796859 11/10/2011 11:26 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
Don't know why I never got around to getting images in the gallery, but after 6 years, here we go.

In the beginning... there was a rusty truck
The body of my truck is a 1955.2 Chevy 3100 2wd from California. It use to be a electrical wiring business truck from the faded logo on the side. Truck was in much worse shape than advertised. See original truck here. The floor pans, cab corners, lower fenders, doors and the bed sides were trashed. Oh, well, it gave me a reason to learn MIG welding!

But a 2wd is just not my cup of tea so I searched for an original factory 4wd system that would bolt up. After some research I discovered that NAPCO Industries offered the system. I ended up finding this 58 Chevy Panel truck that was special ordered for the Forest Service or some other government department. It had the NAPCO 4x4 system with a very rare Braden winch and optional 17.5 inch rims, including the spare! The body was hopelessly rusted and was literally collapsing on top of the frame.

So here I am with one truck and one frame/running gear in a small 2 car garage. Quite cramped. I had previously cut the 58 body up into small pieces for disposal. A large body panel went to fix a friends 58 Burb so not all was lost.

I refreshed the axles with new seals and bearings, cleaned out the 4-speed transmission and Spicer transfercase which were in great shape, and took apart the Braden winch which had been seized from rust. Wire-wheeled everything and applied some epoxy and Chassis Black.

Had the frame sandblasted then sprayed it with epoxy and Chassis Black.

Installed brand new 350 crate motor I got for $800 bucks! The foundation was complete.

3 years later...on to the body.
New doors, new bed sides, driver side front fender were ordered when a good discount came up (usually around Christmas). The next 2 years were really welding, sanding, spraying, sanding, repeating. Cab with new doors hung. Then used POR 15 on the bottom of the cab and on the inside of the fenders. Then top coated them with POR 15 Hardnose paint that was pretty close to the final color and mounted the cab which was a rather hairy process.

Got the cooling system in and started on the wiring so I could get the engine started. Success! Startup on YouTube.

5 years later...still trying to get the darn body panels and gaps correct.
I had to do a lot of welding, shimming, cussing and some filler (never more than 1/8th) to get it to an acceptable level. I have not doubt that a master body man could have tweaked the panels so no filler would be necessary but a master I am not.

Bought the only STA Super Traxion tires that would fit the original 17.5" rims, and how awesome they are! The truck clears my garage by a half an inch. They also ride nice and don't make much noise for bias ply tires.

Finally sprayed in full body epoxy. Cut and shaped the front bumpers around winch and got them chromed.

5 1/2 years later...chose a body shop to shoot the paint.
Bad choice. My truck languished for 5 months before the cab was done. . He hadn't even started on the hood and rear fenders. I pulled the job and found another shop to finish the parts.

Home stretch. Final assembly.
Here is a long video of the bed being assembled.

Here is the final product. Well not really, I have a long list of little things that need to be fixed or completed but I am having a hard time getting to those items because I'm enjoying my ride!

I want to thank everyone on this forum for helping me out over the years, I couldn't have done it without you all!

Youtube video of finished 1955.2 Chevy Napco.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 438
Nice truck! Great story. Thanks for sharing!

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 28
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 28
Jomichael
Love the your truck and you stole my idea.... well sort of. Mine is a 1956 3200 with 1958 NAPCO driveline. Paint and body are done just waiting for the engine to get done and she can go back together.... I will be asking you lots of questions, if you dont mind....
b

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 28
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 28
Jom
Ok first question. You installed the vacuum assist brake booster just like I have. How well does it work ?? and did you bend your own brake lines or did you go with prebent. If so where did you get the brake lines ???? If you bent your own how tuff was it ?? told you I would have lots of questions.
thanks bob
ps
love the color, as yellow was a top three color for me.... check out my project over at the 47-72 chevy web site
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=385404
havent figured out how to post up pictures here yet, maybe soon.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
Bob,
The brakes work great with that booster! One of the best upgrades. I also have cross drilled drums all around. I bought them from Brotherstrucks.com. Not sure if they still sell em. I routed and bent my own lines as the layout is a little different on the NAPCO's. I just went down to NAPA for everything. It was a bit difficult, and I had to do some loops here and there so I didn't have to cut the lines. If you have a good flare tool, you won't have this problem.

Nice photos, I remember when I was at your stage. Are you using the 7 leaf front NAPCO springs? I still have the 6 leaf springs and when I'm out wheeling I hit the bump stop quite a bit. I plan on adding the correct 7 leaf springs in the future. I just hope I can still get the truck in the garage as it currently clears by only 1/2 an inch!

Let me know if you have more questions.
Michael

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
Bob,
I only looked at the first page, you are way further along than I thought. It looks like you went all out on that build. Great job!

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 28
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 28
Michael
Thanks for kind words, there are not many guys building Napcos so when I see one, I kinda get excited to see it and it motivates me to get busy on mine.
I am still tossing the whole brake line deal around. A buddy said he would help me with it so I might give it a shot. I am stoked to hear that you like the booster, as again I have not found anyone else who has used it with drums and not disc/drums which you know would be hard for us to do.
I can not remember if I have the six or seven leaf front end. I will check. I know it came out of a 58 burb similar to yours and the guy I bought it off of had been sitting on it for years. He wanted a fortune for it so I walked away and then he called me back and said he would take my offer(bs) Pretty sure I still paid top dollar for it but its behind me now.

I am still up in the air on the wheels. i have a set of 15" six lug wheels, as 16 or 17" tall skinny radials are pretty hard to find.

thanks
bob

Oh by the way I totally saved your bed assembly video as I have most of the parts to put mine together but pretty much clueless on the right way to go.... so thanks for that....



Moderated by  J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0