The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Nick in Manitou, Oswald, MRMEROTH11, 1 invisible), 137 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,124
Posts1,056,334
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#80179 07/18/2007 8:06 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 451
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 451
All,
I have posted pictures of the beginning of my next vacation project - 46’ gas tank. Step 1 is complete and I know what I have to work with. Interested to know if anybody could offer suggestions on getting a lower half made, if they have done it, etc. I am still resigned to factory under seat tank although I have a solid plan for an alternative frame mount already in place. Not giving up just yet.
Are the old tank halves, drain valve bungs, and filler neck soldered in. Any of this info would help immensely.
Thanks,
Brett


cavebull
Stovebolts - so easy even a Cavebull can do it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dodsonbrett/collections
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Brett,

I viewed your tank pictures. My opinion is you are doomed. Your time and money would be much better spent having a competent sheet metal shop make you a new tank. If you are 'weld-smart' and own a small MIG machine, you can have 16 or 18 gauge panels sheared and formed, then weld them together yourself. You can purchase weld flanges and install them where you want your pipe fittings to go. Your chances of a leak free tank are improved immensely when you start with new material and lap weld the seams. My two cents!

Stuart

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 2
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 2
Cavebull, do you know anyone coming to Central Florida soon with a pickup truck? I will GIVE you a decent 1940 1/2 ton tank which was holding gas and has surface rust only. I would still seal it at a minimum.. I am moving away from the in-cab tank.
Dan Friend 386-943-9537 leave message, or email me at [email protected]


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0